Sunday, April 30, 2017

Workouts this week: April 24-30

Monday: April 24
I had to miss yoga because of a work meeting.

I did go to BodyPump. I had an asthma attack in the middle of the class. (The first time that's happened.) I took my inhaler and finished the class out. I was supposed to run after, but I felt bad. I went home and went to bed early. (9:30 p.m.)

Tuesday: April 25


I wasn't crazy about the speed workout for today's group run AND the weather is supposed to be awful Thursday, so I did my hill repeats today, figuring I can do speed indoors on Thursday.

Workout was two easy miles, 6 hill repeats and 2 easy miles.

Today I focused on my breathing. Really thought about breathing through my mouth AND nose and being conscious of breaths in and out (instead of mindlessly running.) And I felt great. Even on the hills. And when my thoughts drifted to the cute dog I passed or the girls walking past me, I could tell a difference. I did six hill repeats. I ran them all. There was no walking up the hill. And I ran father up the hill to get my two minutes in. My times were about the same as last week, but my fastest one was four seconds faster. But overall, I felt great and ended up running 7 miles.

(Note: I turned the heart rate monitoring back on my Apple Watch. It said my heart rate got up to 213. Which is why I turned the HRM off in the first place. I felt great. I wasn't dizzy—and isn't 213 IMPOSSIBLE for a 34-year-old who is not dying. My Apple Watch is so stupid. I'd believe 150. But I don't trust wrist based heart monitoring because my wrist is small, has freckles, and my watch jiggles when I run. We'll see if my Garmin gives those results.) 

Wednesday: Gymnastics
I ran two miles before gymnastics (slower than last week). I was running a little late since I had to drop my husband off somewhere.

But I did my gymnastics class: I played some on the bars, the trampoline, did a handstand forward roll on the mat with no extra cushion. I played around some with headstand and forearm stands. Afterwards, the group went out for tacos.



Thursday: speed work
This is the speed work I was supposed to do Tuesday. The weather actually was nice so I could have done hills. Oh well.

My training plan had called for 10 x400s, but I liked the workout from last week, the mix of 800s and 400s so I did that instead. I did very little breaks in between. I walked a half a lap (about 100 meters) and then ran.

Times: 3:45. 1:48, 3:35, 1:44, 3:32, 1:44, 3:32, 1:44, 3:35, 1:48.

Then I needed to make mileage for the week, so I ran a mile. 7:48 (which is not bad for dead legs. I would have liked 7:40)

Then I played with some 200s (1 lap around the track), just for fun: 48, 45, 42, 44

Friday off: 
I was at a conference in Atlanta so this was a scheduled off day. This was also my cheat day. I've been eating way too healthy lately

Saturday: Long Run
Long Run at Sandy Creek Park. The goal was to run 8-9 miles. I showed up at the same time at the university cross country team. But they didn't warm up. They just ran. So I started about 5 minutes after them. I was glad for some to clear the spiderwebs away for me.



The course was as brutal as I remember. I still had to walk in sections. I tried to concentrate on my breathing and run easy. But I ended up running the course start to start 5 min faster than two weeks ago. And the course start to finish near the beach was 3-4 minutes faster than I've run before. I'll take that for progress.

The last mile or so I had nothing in my tank. It was a run/walk. And it's totally fine. I'm training for a 10k, so my first 6.5 miles were okay. (I ran 8.59 today, so right in between 8 and 9. I couldn't have done 9.)

As for the course, there were still 2-3 muddy sections. One muddy section was replaced by a bridge (yay!). It smelled new. But in the back half there were at least two fallen trees that I had to climb carefully over.

Almost confident to run in a sports bra.
Thankfully really no one saw me. 
I tried to walk around a ton afterwards. I took a quick shower and headed to the farmer's market for breakfast. I ordered a crepe that wasn't very good and got some chocolate almond milk. I wanted a biscuit, but the line for that cart was too long. I went home and made myself eggs on toast. And I wore compression socks for the rest of the day.







Sunday: Yoga
I ran 1.8 miles to make my miles for the week. I love running first thing in the morning so I can mark that off as done.

Then I went to yoga. I've been feeling achey all week since I missed yoga this week. I felt so much better after yoga. I was stretched and relaxed. I love that feeling when you walk out of yoga class and you feel so much better than when you walked in. I think there must be a special place in heaven for yoga teachers.

Miles this week: 24 (think I'll do a separate post about miles this month)
Workouts: 8: 5 runs, one body pump, one yoga, one gymnastics


No comments:

Post a Comment