Monday, April 10, 2017

Running rant

There's this Buzzfeed video about a girl training to run a marathon in 10 weeks. And this girl not only does it but qualifies for Boston with her amazing time.

And this video just makes me mad because it is not realistic.

That wouldn't happen for 99% of the population. And it makes me mad because I have so many friends who have trained so hard for years and not qualified for Boston. It's hard work.

I think about 75% of the population wouldn't have been able to do this. Well over half of people would have gotten injured. It's so tough on the body.

I honestly would have expected her to walk part of the course, or finish in 4+ hours. I would have liked the better if she struggled but did it, and did an okay time. I would have liked it if it was more realistic. Or if there were more disclaimers at the end, how her training was under strict supervision, how this isn't normal. How she did amazing and better than anyone expected.

There's so much that's not included in this video.

How did she have enough base to do a 35 mile week at week one. I can't even do 20 without getting hurt. Has she secretly been running for two years? Did she lie about never running more than 3 miles? I think that's the most realistic.

What was her nutrition?

How did she not get injured? Did she see a physical therapist daily?

And I just really want someone to call this girl out for course cutting or having someone run part of the race for her.

You don't go from non-runner to elite in 10 weeks.

The comments have said she's a pro cyclist so had a good cardio base. So she's not honestly going from couch potato to best of the best runner. She's simply switched sports.

I get hurt bumping my days running up by two days a week. I don't understand how she didn't. Maybe she's one of those rare people who never get hurt.

If she did this race and time honestly, good for her. That's awesome.  Girl should try triathlons and get some sponsorship deals.

I think there should have been more disclaimers on the video. I don't want people thinking they can run a marathon in 10 weeks and stay healthy and qualify for Boston. That's not what will happen to most people and to me, this video isn't inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment