Sunday, April 23, 2017

Workouts this week: 4-16-17

Sunday: Off (maybe some course scouting) 
Today was my day off (kind of) after my long run. Also the gym was closed for Easter, so.....I made it an off day.

I did want to get in 1.2 miles to get my Boston Badge on Strava (run 26.2 miles in 10 days) and I needed to run .3 miles to get to 20 miles for the Monday through Sunday week. So I headed to the Bot Garden to scout the course for Saturday's race.


L handstand? I'm weird.
I started in the middle and ran up the hill, and turned right for the white trail and then left for the red trail, then right, and then to the access path, and then I ended up where I started. And then I guessed wrong and ended up on the far end of the trail. And had to walk a mile back to my car. (BTW: I can run/walk forever. I probably should have just run this after I finished my mile.)

I got home and compared MY route to the route online and figured out I tried the course backwards (the end and the start are the same color. Haha). So now I need to walk the course again to see how hilly it is. I HATE HILLS.

I looked up race training plans, and the Hal Higdon has me doing a 5k this Saturday. So Hooray. I'm right on track with that plan.

Monday: Crazy Day
I decided to make today my first three-a-day. What was I thinking?



There wasn't class on Sunday so I felt like I MUST make up for Sunday yoga and BodyPump.

So I went to noon yoga. Yay.

And then the craziness starts. I had a 4 p.m. meeting downtown. I couldn't figure out the logistics. I could get there, but how was I going to get to my 5:30 p.m. BodyPump class across campus. Traffic is insane and I didn't know how I'd make it.

So....I laced up my shoes and ran to my meeting. (Seriously, I didn't even stretch.) It took me 6 minutes to get to the restaurant. Which is way faster than driving and parking. And then I ran to the gym from the restaurant.

(Also this meeting. It was a brainstorming session. There were 6 pizzas for the 6 people who showed up. 14+ said they'd come. So I was sitting in front of pizzas while I am allergic to dairy. It was a torture session. I basically refuse to go to pizza restaurants for this reason.)



So I ran to the gym after the restaurant. Took me 12.5 minutes. I would have taken me 20+ in the car because of 5 p.m. traffic. Hooray.

So I ran .6 mile to the meeting. 1.5 mile to the gym. Then I did an hour of BodyPump.

Then I rank 1.4 miles back to my car. (I walked a hill. This was a slower pace. My legs were tired.) So I racked up 3.68 miles today going here, there and everywhere. And saved some gas. It was a cool experiment.  

Tuesday: Speed work at the track
Yay for trying new things. (Matt loved it)



Wednesday: Running + gymnastics
I ran two road miles before gymnastics. 2 miles in 15:55 on the road. It was hot, but I need to practice running on the road more. I was tired at the end of gymnastics, but I needed to get my miles in.

Thursday: Hill repeats

Friday: off

Saturday: Trail 5k 
I ran a trail 5k in a decent time. My splurge meal for lunch was Keba. (No fries. Look at my will power!!) Then I went shopping. I went to the Nike outlet. I was looking for another pair of road shoes. I found a pair of fly knits I liked okay, but not for $80. I got some tanks at Under Armour. That's about it.

Side rant:
Wednesday, my back hurt. (Running is jarring to the spine and used to make my back hurt in high school.) I decided it was time for a chiropractor visit. I told Matt was going to the chiropractor. He told me I should probably strengthen my back and that he never sees me doing anything to strengthen my back.

1. I lift weights for an hour a week. I do a back workout with weights. Big weights.
2. Yoga. I do lots of yoga, with lots of planks and side planks. This is really good for my back.
3. Gymnastics. I do a ton of body weight exercises in gymnastics.

I was kind of annoyed he said that. Since I take a ton of strength classes. And I NEVER see Matt do pushups or anything other than run these days.

Anyway, my back is great because I strengthen it. I hadn't been to the chiropractor since last year (so 4+ months). And it was much needed. She got some great pops in my back and I felt immediately better. I listened to my body and it was the right decision.

Week in review:
Runs: 6 (counting Monday as one run), so 6 days running. (yay! up from 3)
Miles this week. (19.4 for Sunday through Saturday, With Sunday's run I made 22, which was my goal mileage.) I think  I'm going to start counting my mileage Monday through Sunday, since that's how Strava does it. Otherwise
Workouts this week: 6 runs, one speed work, one hill workout, one yoga class, one gymnastics class, one weights class


No comments:

Post a Comment