Sunday, April 9, 2017

Race Recap: Moving for Montessori 10k



Second Saturday in a row for a 10k. It might not have been my brightest idea ever. I was worried about my calves a lot going into this race. My right calf was absolutely shredded after the CFA race. Sunday I was limping and it would twinge on occasion. It was sore after Thursday's run.

But this race was right across from my house, so I signed up. (And then switched registrations.) I signed up for the 5k, but again the temperature dipped down to 38 so I changed my race to the later 10k. (Thanks race organizers for changing me.) It was still in the 40s when I started running, but I'm ALMOST getting used to these cooler temperatures. I was fine when it warmed up to 50. I think I need arm warmers. So I found some for $6 online and will see if that works. That will be easier to layer than a longsleeve.

Race Prep
This was a recovery week for me. I did yoga Sunday, weights Monday, two runs Tuesday, exercise bike, arms and abs Wednesday, short run Thursday and off Friday. I kept my mileage low to save it for Saturday. (I run a laughable 15 miles a week.)

I generally ate healthy. I did eat some pasta Thursday. On Friday I went out to eat with my family and ordered French fries, I ate maybe 5 fries, which I thought was enough to indulge but not sabotage my race. AND I had part of a nutella quesadilla (which was amazing!).

I was seeing how I felt day-of. I was wondering if I could finish—if my calf would cramp half way through. So I took some ibuprofen and put some voltarin gel on my calf. Voila! Problem solved. It was tight during the race, but I was fine. I also wore my Asics. They've got well over 100 miles on them. I did not wear the racing shoes from last week, which Matt said my calves aren't used to yet.

I went to bed early the night before the race. (Before 10. I was exhausted.) I set my alarm for 7:15, but I woke up at 6:20 and couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up and ate a Kind bar, did my chores. I ran the dishwasher, took the dog out, paid some bills, ate another granola bar, did some exercise bike to wake my legs up and then walked across the street for the race.

The race started at 9:15 a.m. and I started my apple watch, Strava, and then started music about a mile into the race.

It was a small race. I felt bad for how many people showed up. But it was a busy weekend for races. Six races. And they warned us that this was a HILLY races. Six miles of hills. How bad could it be?

Mile one: I felt good. I tried to run slow. (I didn't look at my watch.) I tried to run 8:30s. I needed to walk a hair after mile one. There was a hill. Ugh. (I did not run slow. Haha)

Mile 2: Still good. There are course monitors at every turn, to tell me which way to go. I have NO IDEA.

Mile 3: Starting to feel it. Telling myself I'm allowed to walk once every mile. It's that bad. I've still got a super fast time. 24 minutes for 3 miles. I'm cruising at 8 flats despite the hills and walking.

I know at this point I have second in the race if I don't completely crash and burn. I'm pretty sure I'll win women.

Mile 4: I take my long sleeve off and re pin my bib. I'm starting to falter.

I turn into the next neighborhood of the race and see the leader guy coming out. He's beat me by at least 10 minutes. It's okay though.

I run this entire race alone. Which I like to run alone, but a race? I wanted more people to run with.

At this point there are no course monitors. They used to be at every turn. Now, there aren’t even signs. I guess which way to go. Thankfully, earlier this week I found a course map online (it took some digging) and ran/walked the last two miles on the course. I would have gotten lost if not for that. So points for race prep.

I see the sign for mile 5 and am glad I'm on track. (Seriously, I almost asked some dog walkers where the neighborhood entrance was.)

I come out of the neighborhood and cross the street. Now I see a guy running going in the neighborhood (like I saw the leader). I stupidly walk up the hill to the light (no mental toughness) and then run the entire flat sidewalk back to the finish (yay, flat road I can do this.)

I see the finish and try to get there before it hits 50 minutes. (Turns out I had some left in the tank, I could have sprinted more.)

So I finish almost the exact same time as last week.

First place female. Second overall.
No medals for this race. 

I tell the leader congrats on the race. And then my husband is there. I didn't see him at all. He's brought the dog to the finish line (like I asked).

They hand me my place card. I walk around. They really want me to fill out the card. I'm too braindead, but I do. They give me a swag bag. I walk some more.

By this time, the third place guy comes in (well second place male).

Eventually I find the bananas. I really wanted a banana. I eat some blueberry crumble from the snack room. I give Mojo half my banana. He loves bananas.



And Mojo is having an absolute blast hanging out with the race people. He's so extroverted. And the kids all want to pet him. They all love him. He has the best time.

I know the guy operating the timing. I know him from gymnastics and acro yoga. His mom owns the business. (Which I think is super cool! I love hanging out at races).

Eventually we walk across the street to the house.

My time was 49:48 (what the timer told me—same as last week). The email I got said 49:54, still under 50.)

I look at my splits for the race
7:03 (this was me trying to run easy, trying to run 8+. This is my fastest mile time.)
8:00
8:15
And then my miles are around 8:30s because I don't have the endurance yet.
Time: 49:54

Thoughts: My first three miles are always great. I can run a 5k thanks to high school. My second three are crap. I need to run more longer distances.

I’m happy with my times. It was a hard course.

I burped a lot after this race.

I raced hard and I thought my calves weren’t as trashed as after my last race. I wasn’t limping like I was last Sunday. BUT my legs were sore for the rest of the week.

I tried running Sunday just to get the lactic acid out of my legs. My calves were tight. I couldn’t do it. They hurt just walking around. On Monday, I was practically crying on a limping two mile run. I ended up skipping speed work that I was excited for. I need my calves. I took Tuesday off running. Tried two miles again on Wednesday (and with pain killers it was better). Thursday I wore compression crops and on Friday my compression sleeves came in. And that’s what I needed to recover (that and time and time off).

I love compression anything so I’ll have to write more about the compression sleeves. I like them. My legs feel better with them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment