Sunday, August 27, 2017

Workouts this week 8/21-8/27

Monday: Off
I set my alarm to go run before work. I was tired and that didn't happen. I got up and decided I wasn't up to running. My legs were tight and I knew I had a really busy day ahead of me.

My university hosted an eclipse viewing party in the football stadium. I'd say about 30,000 people showed up. There was a lot of walking and it was super hot.

Tuesday: Easy miles



My legs were even tighter Tuesday (I walked around a lot Monday for a work event). I didn't want to do speed workout on tight hamstrings so I did four easy miles. And that seemed to be what my legs needed—something to loosen them up.

The last quarter mile, I took off my shoes and ran barefoot in the grass. It was exactly what I needed. And why don't I do this more often? Seriously, I need a grass striders workout in my routine.

Wednesday: speed work
I did the Tuesday speed work on Wednesday on the indoor track in the air conditioning. The track was really busy at times and I had to do a lot of weaving. I only yelled "track" twice. The worst was for a guy and a girl walking on the outside lane, with no way to pass. I yelled track and she didn't move. Headphones.

Today's workout was 800s. And I made an effort to start slower and build to faster. I was shooting for 3:50, 3:45 and then 3:40s (5k pace)

3:49, 3:42, 3:36, 3:35, 3:34, 3:26

I was feeling like I was back to my speed from two months ago, so I looked at my previous 800s workouts. It was faster than my May 2 workout, my June 13 workout (in 90 degree weather), and my Aug. 1 workout that was so hard. (This workout felt a ton easier than that one.) I was 17 seconds slower than then 5 800s I did June 27. All of those were from 3:27-3:33, but I deliberately did my first two today slower. So I feel like I'm back or almost back to speed.

Thursday: Medium run


I ran 5.5 miles today after work. I waited until 7 p.m. and the temperature was down closer to low 80s. I ran five miles of trails at a super easy pace, 9-10 minute miles, and then did the last half mile running barefoot laps around a grassy field. So I got my miles in. I was in a pretty bad mood before the run and maybe in a slightly better mood afterward?

And I'm never hungry after these hot runs. I had a popsicle. But I had to make myself eat dinner. (Soup and broccoli. I really wanted Indian food.)

Friday: Glow yoga




I went to  glow yoga today. I think I fell out of every pose. Warrior three. Fall. Flipped dog. Fall. Half moon. Fall.

I guess this was my off day. It's OKAY. It happens.

Saturday: Long run
Pretty sure the camera is covered in sweat.
I love that this trail goes UNDER the highway.
Saturdays are for long runs. I headed to Cook's trail. We saw the UGA cross country team when we got there. (I got Matt out of bed, since I don't like to run this trail alone). I run into the team a lot. Bot gardens, Sandy Creek park. I wonder where else they run. Maybe I should ask!

My plan for the run was 8.5 easy miles. Matt said why not run 10? I've never run 10 before. I told him we'd see how I felt. I told Matt to lead (I hate leading), but he said he was farting from eating a burrito bowl so I should go first. (Karma because it was MY burrito bowl) So I ran the trail. 9:32 for the first mile, 8:52 which was a bit fast for the second mile, which must be pretty flat and a lot of boardwalk. 9:15 and then I died on the hilly fourth mile and had to walk some. I got to the halfway point, drank water and headed back. I stopped to put my headphones in one ear, and that took a few too many seconds because my legs were close to locking up. Oops.

I ran back and on  mile 6 I was dead. My legs were heavy. I started tripping on everything. Ugh. I asked Matt to lead and he did. And that was a little better.  (Matt said I was doing fine, but I was in pain mentally and physically). I walked a few steps and carried on. I walked a few more steps in mile 8. When I got back to the trail head, I took a short break and then did the last half mile (and that felt a ton better after a break.) All in all, I did 8.5 miles in 1 hour and 22, which is a pretty long time to keep moving. (Matt finished up at 8 and didn't do the 10.)

We had to be at lunch across town at 11:30, so I didn't have time to stretch. We hurried home. I showered, dried and straighten my hair and was ready with 5 minutes to spare. So I rolled my legs some.

But my legs were super sore for the rest of the day. I was too tired to go to the pool. My legs didn't hurt like that last time. Ugh.

Sunday: short tempo run

Stretching after Sunday's run
I needed to run 1.6 miles to make mileage for the week today. So I decided to do this at 5k pace (since most of my miles have been easy this week). So I think a goal 5k would be about 7:20 pace. So the plan was to do 12 laps on the indoor track in 11 minutes. (7:20 + 3:40).  55 seconds a lap.

My first lap was a few seconds too fast, but I had my pacing dead on. Half a mile was 3:39 and one mile was 7:20 exactly, then I had four more laps left. In the middle of lap 10, my Garmin came to tell me I'd run one mile in 8:40 (WHY can't it track right in an indoor track!?!) and that messed me up royally because the watch reset the time it was showing for the second mile, so it was showing 40 seconds or .05 mile. I scrolled to the right and I couldn't find total time anywhere. And at that point I was so confused about what lap I was on. I think I had two laps left. I got to the end of the lap after the malfunction and just stopped. I paused the watch and it showed me total time 10:09. I had to run the last lap in 51 seconds (and that meant I had one lap left). I busted out the lap and finished in 10:54.7. I think I could do that for a 5k in a few weeks. It felt easy. I wasn't too tired.

I was annoyed at my Garmin. Where is just the straight stop watch function? Should I have hit other? If I was going to do the indoor run I should have hit lap after mile 1, but I truly didn't know it wouldn't show me elapsed time anywhere. Ugh.

I had planned to go swimming today. But I got to the locker room and didn't feel like swimming by myself. So I went home. Another day, I guess.

And I usually do yoga or weights on Sunday. I skipped today and stayed home. I made some gazpacho and super hero muffins.

Workouts this week: 5 runs, 1 yoga
Miles this week: 24.2




No comments:

Post a Comment