Monday, August 21, 2017

Workouts this week: 8/14-8/20



8/14 Morning run
I ran 3.5 miles before work. And I even had time to go home and shower and then go to work. (Though I didn't stretch afterwards, oops).

8/15 Speed work: Not as planned


The plan was to do speed work at the track. The track was supposed to reopen Aug. 1. No construction project is ever complete on time, and the track—while it looks done—wasn't open today.  It was locked.

The coach had a backup plan as 400s on the sidewalk. I did a half mile warmup and my shin started to feel tight. I didn't think I could do 10 400s on concrete (without aggravating an injury I thought was healed), so I headed to do 400s at the IM Fields, where the ground is softer. (The indoor track would be a nightmare. The first week of school it's super busy with people who don't know how to use a track, and you'll run into someone). I marked a .25 mile route (from the tree to a pile of large sticks) and did it 10 times.

It was hot. Too hot. My times were not what they should be. Two of the routes I just gave up on and were slower than 10k pace. I was breathing so hard and sweating buckets.

1:45, 1:44, 1:45, 1:50, 1:44, 1:51, 1:47, 1:58 :(, 1:51 and 🐢 2:00. (I should have done nine too Sally and Matt!)

So I got a few good reps in. Two were junk. The humidity was just awful. It was apparently 90 degrees and 66% humidity. I swear it felt worse than 100% humidity. And near the lake, it was even worse.

Wednesday: Off
I was really tired today. Took it off. Walked the dog and went to bed early.

Thursday: Morning run: 5 miles


I set my alarm for 5:15 a.m., did the pet chores, warmed up and stretched and was out the door at 6 a.m. for a run. I'm trying to avoid the heat, so I decided to run before work. It was REALLY dark.

Running on the road is fine when it's dark, but I was worried about my shins, so I ran around some fields (wearing my water proof shoes) and then I got on trails when there was more light. I think I rolled my ankle three times in the first two miles (once on the road, once in the grass). And I don't think it was uneven surfaces. It was just my ankle? One time was REALLY bad (this was actually on a trail, but a flat part). I saw stars. I kept running on it and it was fine (guess those ligaments are flexible and strong). I was wearing a hat light running. I saw a few other runners—none of them wearing a light (I DID NOT UNDERSTAND THAT) and I saw two teams practicing on the fields in the darkness. They were doing jumping jacks and other exercises.

My alarm went off at 6:15 a.m. I wondered who was calling me at that hour. Then I realized it was my weekday alarm. That's when I normally get up. It took me a few seconds to turn it off (to figure out how. The alarm wasn't even showing on the screen.)

This was a really slow run. I would have liked it a hair faster, but I couldn't. I was tired. It was a recovery run and I wasn't running fast because it was still dark. Though during the 50+ minutes I was running, it went from pitch black, to pre-dawn, to sunrise to light outside.

45 minutes of pilates
There's a free faculty and staff pilates class that's offered at work at noon. I can rarely ever make it, but I did today. (And of course, I had three lunch time errands to run, but I planned to go so I did) and I think I really needed some low impact core work.

Friday: Glow yoga
I went to glow in the dark yoga with my sister. It was fun.






Saturday: Long run 8 miles


Today was the first time I've run eight miles in TWO MONTHS. (I didn't realize it had been that long. I took most of July off and just didn't get long runs in at the end of June.)

We got up early and headed out to Cook's trail. It's four miles from the Nature Center to the water fountain at Sandy Creek Park, and then I turned around and my silly Garmin said it was .15 miles shorter to come back so I had to run some extra length.

I kept the run really slow and easy. My heat rate really climbed when running hills so I walked for a few seconds just to get my heart rate down. I also took the monitor off during mile 6. It was driving me crazy. But it still tracked after that—how weird.

Overall, a nice trail run. I'd love to run this trail more (but it can get quite muddy).



We also went to the pool in the afternoon. I swam a few more laps than last time. Matt played on the diving board after he was done.

Sunday: Yoga, making miles
Went to yoga today. I should preface this with—I was in a weird/bad mood this morning.

I show up to yoga, and I just felt really out of place. Like I didn't belong. And in yoga, this rarely happens for me.

The class was OKAY. I REALLY HATE yoga classes with singing Oms. Yuck. And this class begins and ends like this. I DON'T WANT TO SING.

Also the instructor, who is really nice and seems like a fun person, smudged some wood at the end of class. The smoke made my throat really itchy. I have asthma. I didn't have an asthma attack but I didn't like it. I'm thinking this isn't the yoga studio for me. (NO SINGING)

Run
My goal was 22 miles this week. I had run 20.8 so I needed to run 1 and change miles today.

In the afternoon I went to the indoor track. (Also, I saw an almost accident where a car pulled out in front of another car—didn't even look. And then on two separate occasions people walked out in front of my car. I'll stop, but you could wait for a gap in the traffic.)

I did a walking warmup and then ran .25 miles, stretched. My goal was a mile at goal 5k pace. (I haven't run this pace in awhile.) So I think my GOAL 5k pace is 7:20. I ran a 7:15, which was a little fast and don't think I could have done that for 3 (did a long run yesterday). Then i decided to keep at that pace, and ran another half mile (which I hadn't planned on) and ran that at 7:38 pace. I cooled down with .25 miles at 8 minute miles, and that was my short speed workout.

Workouts this week: 5 runs, 2 yoga classes, one pilates class, one swim
Miles this week: 22.8

No comments:

Post a Comment