Sunday, August 6, 2017

Workouts this week: July 31-Aug. 6





Monday: Morning run
I ran 3.27 miles before work. I got up at 5:30 and after chores I started running at the trails at 6:36 a.m. It was 63 degrees! (That's why I got up early to run) It was an easy-ish run. 8:50 pace.

I felt great (unlike Saturday's disaster of a run.)

I ran at the trails and then showered at the gym across the street. On my way from the parking deck to the gym, I saw a tiny bird stuck in the parking deck. A guy stopped to help me get the bird out of the deck and back into nature. Poor bird.

Tuesday, Aug. 1 Speed work at the track
This was my first speed workout in almost a month. I didn't go last week because I was still achy. I wasn't 100%, but I decided to go to at least TRY to see if I could run today. A bad run is better than NO RUN some times.

My plan was to walk a mile as my warmup. We didn't get there in time. I walked three laps and ran one lap. And stretched for about three minutes. (I should have stretched more.) The workout was 800 repeats. Five with an optional sixth. In 84 degree heat. But at least the humidity was tolerable.

Splits: (The track is a little long)
3:38 (7:04 pace)
3:42 (7:18 pace)
3:41 (7:14 pace)
3:49 (7:23 pace)

And after that fourth one I was done. It wasn't my legs (though my leg did get TIGHT on the last 800). It was my fitness. It was breathing and fatigue. This run was SO HARD. It was hard because I haven't run fast in a while, because I was tired. I needed rest. I felt like I was going to barf. My stomach was in knots.

I walked a lap while the others ran the fifth rep. And then I did a 400 instead of an 800 for my last one. (1:38)

And maybe I pushed myself too hard, because I was DONE after that run. I went home and had nothing left.

The workout went better than I thought. I thought it was going to be 8 minute mile pace. I was faster. (It felt awful though.) About the same as I ran at the beginning of May/ a little faster than a June workout in 90 degree heat.)  I'm glad I have some speed left. I think I'll get my fitness back in a few weeks. So, all in all, a good workout. I wasn't too achey after it. (But why do I do this to myself?)

I did work a little on my running form. I run too vertical. It's not efficient. I need to pick my feet up less. I kick my leg up to about 90 when I run. My Garmin's noticed it and the coach commented on it today. I tried to run more efficient. I didn't lose any in my cadence. I forgot when I was tired.

Aug. 2 Off
Took today as an off day. I walked the dog. Not sure where all of my time went. I spent about 30 minutes trying to loosen up my tight shin with heat, electronic massage, rolling and self massage.


Aug. 3 run
Ran 5 miles of trails today. I almost tripped over a log. I tripped and thought I was going to fall on my face, but by some miracle (my abs?) I saved it and stayed upright.

Aug. 4: Swim
I tried swimming today! Going to do a separate blog post on that. It was more fun than I thought and I was quickly out of breath.

Aug. 5 longish run
Trying to get back to 8-9 mile long runs. I ran 6.6 miles today and it felt easy and so much better than last week.



Also, a group for the ropes course blocked in my car. So I had to wait 20 minutes while they drank their coffee. I was sweaty and gross in my sports bra. I used the time to stretch. And then wait, and wait. Oh well.



Aug. 6: Yoga
Sunday I went to yoga at the running store. The class was the most full I've ever seen it. Maybe 12 people? It was crowded. And I always forget the class is 90 minutes. I wish it were 60, but think it's 75, and then it takes an hour and a half. (Sundays are my busy days.)

It was good to see some of my running friends though.

Workouts this week: 4 runs, 1 swim, 1 yoga
Miles this week: 17.5


No comments:

Post a Comment