Sunday, July 2, 2017

Workouts this week: June 26-July 2

June 26: OFF
Enjoyed my Monday off. Came home and took a nap.

June 27: Speed work X 2
Ran a mile for speed at 6:30 a.m.

Then did 6:30 p.m. track workout. The workout was warmup, 5 800s, then a cool down (with breaks in between).
After my mile, I didn't really want to do the last two reps, but decided to see how I felt.
• 3:27
• 3:27.9
• 3:30

And then I was basically done, but Matt told me I couldn't quit.
• 3:33. My legs were SOOOOOO Heavy on this one.
• 3:27. Ugh

(Also the track is long, so for .52 miles)

800 meters to cool down. That was HARD. I was so tired after that workout.

June 28: trail run





Did a trail run with the Athens Road Runners as part of the monthly trail series. It was white to orange trail at the Botanical Garden, which I've done once before. The goal today was SLOW recovery miles. And yep, ran 10:58s.

This trail is so steep, it's easy to run slow. I was pretty proud of myself for running the entire trail and not walking the hills. Thanks peer pressure, I wouldn't let myself do that.

June 29th: rainy run
My quads were sore. I was tired. Today I wanted a flat run. No hills. I ran by my house. And I started feeling better after I started running. (I think the tired feeling was from not getting enough sleep). The plan was to run 5.1 miles. Easy miles. Still on recovery. I hit 5.1 miles and the rain started POURING. I called Matt to come pick me up. No answer. And my phone wouldn't hang up. It's in a waterproof case but when the case is wet I can't touch buttons on the screen. So I walked the big hill and ran an extra mile back to the house. (I had planned to walk the last mile as my stretching post run.)



Good news: I bought a pair of new Nike Pegasus shield. They're designed for running in the rain. They're water resistant and extra grippy.

From Nike: Designed for use in rainy, wet conditions, these running shoes have a DWR coating on the mesh and Flywire uppers, as well as water-resistant booties to keep your feet feeling warm and dry. The grippy, high-abrasion outsoles offer traction and durability, while the Cushlon and Phylite midsoles are soft and responsive.

Verdict: They are indeed water resistant. My feet were dry and not sloshing in my shoes.

June 30: BodyPump + Speed
I went to 5:30 BodyPump. I DID NOT like the music for the 102 release. Ugh. It uses a lot of dumbbells. There are pushups. I did lunges with no weight.

Then I did some speed work from a workout from Nike.

Warmup mile
2 100 meter strides
1000 at race pace (4:12)
2 100 meter strides

The workout said cool down mile, but I was tired so I ran for 5 miles, which was a little more than half a mile. My Garmin doesn't track right on the indoor track.

Saturday: Failed long run
The goal was to run 8-9 miles. I skipped my long run last week. I went running today and my legs were tired. I walked in mile 2. And again in mile 3. At mile 4 I was ready to quit, but said I'd get to five miles. I could do that. At five miles, I willed myself to 6. At 6, I willed myself to finish a 10k, and then I willed myself to finish 7 miles. And that was that. I was hot and tired. And it was more than 4 miles. I was just tired.

Afterwards, I was feeling the twinges of shin splits when I was walking around that afternoon.

Sunday July 2: Progression run



I tried a progression run today. Which is weird for me since I like to rabbit my first mile and get slower. (Also I was only running 3 miles today. I'm slightly scaling back my mileage and tapering).
I ran my first mile 9:30, which is recovery pace for me.
Mile 2: 9 minutes.
Mile 3. 8 minutes.

I ran this on trails so I purposely made sure mile 3 was downhill. Not sure if I started too slow. I think I just forgot which part of the progression I was on for that third mile. So apparently I can do this. It was a challenge. I'd try it again.

**Starting to get shin splits. Had zero pain during the run. But my shins started to hurt after the run. So I iced and took so anti-inflammatories. I'll search what I should do, but I think it's the muscular kind of shin splints.

Also went to Sunday night yoga.

Car twin: my black and white mini, parked near a black and white FJ

Miles this week: 28
Days running: 6
Also 1 weights class, 1 yoga class


No comments:

Post a Comment