Saturday, October 17, 2015

Flying Trapeze: Straight Jump, Attempt 1

Another Saturday at Flying Trapeze. And I got some sun.



I thought it was going to be cold, but it was sunny and warm and I'm a tad bit tanner for it.

On my warm-up swing, I told the girl working lines to be ready for a shaky bullet drop. So of course, I nailed it. Ha ha. Juli said she didn't even use the lines to slow me down. I'll take that.

I'm still working on my timing on my swing and probably will be forever. I have awful timing.

I asked for a new trick today (I am sick of the backend split). Shain suggested straight jump, which is basically a swing and release to jump to the catcher.

And it looks so easy on Youtube.

It's not. It's a trick all about timing, which I clearly need to work on.

I didn't catch it today. I kept releasing late. I was never sure which was the swing I was going to let go on. I've watched the video of me back a few times, and think I understand the trick a little better now. And I think I have a better idea of what swing to release on (forward, backward, forward, hands!).



Class was fun. With 7 people it went by quickly.

There was a new guy working the board. He'd previously worked at a Philadelphia rig. He caught too. He caught a crazy cutaway.

One time on the board, he pulled the lines up, and clipped them on the net behind us. I reminded him that I am still in lines. (Yes, I'm the only one still swinging in lines.) Then, Juli called up to him that I was in lines. I laughed at yelled that I had gotten a promotion! I quickly told him that I was a hot mess and needed those safety lines. Which it totally fine with me. Safety first.

Another time he asked me if I needed a riser ;) I'll take that as a compliment. Melissa needed the riser for her cutaway. She's tall and thin and working on a more awesome trick. So no riser for me. I haven't tried that yet. (What is it for? There is so much to learn.)

Also, I'm getting better at unclipping my lines. I was really excited to walk my lines over to Juli. I unclipped them normal speed (not too slowly) and walked them over (not falling on my face.) The net is tricky to walk in. Definite progress here, if nothing else.

Working on my calluses.
Also these lulu pants are the best. 

Worries
I don't know what I'm going to catch at the workshop show. I feel like I don't have any tricks.

In a perfect world, I'd catch my cutaway. Because that would be a good show trick.

I talked to the owner afterward. He said I have my backend straddle (too easy. It's a baby trick) and my backend split (which I am sick of).

I want better tricks. (I want to be better than I actually am.)

Could I get the straight jump? Maybe.

I told him I might want to do my seat roll, because I really liked that trick. He said to just practice it before the show.

How does the show work? Do you show up and practice early? This will be my first workshop show. Everyone else has been in shows in before. I don't know what to expect.

Because I didn't catch my trick, here's Michele's beautiful layout.


No comments:

Post a Comment