Sunday, October 11, 2015

Flying Trapeze: backend split finally and lucky socks

I've decided I have lucky socks.



Because whenever I wear these socks (Lululemon run socks), I have a good night at trapeze.

I took another Sunday class. And it was a small class again. We finished up 30 minutes early and got lots of turns.

I worked on my swing again. My first one up was a mess, but I had to remember what it felt like, so they were better after that one.




More work on my take-off: Tonight's lightbulb moment was Kaz telling me the motion is

Ready: Bend your knees, and bring the bar down and right.

Hep: Is 2-ish steps. Not one explode off the board motion.

1) Raise the bar to eye level
2) Hand on/Jump

You should be in a 7 at this point.

The 7 in my swing. For as new as this swing is I'll take it.
My butt is even over the board. 
I did not get that several classes ago, but tonight I got this at least once. We watched it on the tivo. I didn't get it every time (bent arms! no), but just knowing and being aware is a big step in the right direction. And yes, once again, the key is slowing things down.

Hooray! Better takeoff. And I feel like I get some serious height on my swing.

My swing is—my timing's still off. I anticipate and drop my legs too hard (it should be smooth) and I'm piking at the end of the swing instead of arching. So many things to learn!


More practice for split catch today.

I'm a little sick of this trick so it was catch it or work on something new, in my mind.

First run up, Nailed it. I had a great open/belly flop, landed flat on the net. Shain said to do it just like that. (I practiced getting this trick faster on the pullup bar a few times this week.) One more run and it was time for catches.

CATCHES
The first lady up was working on WORKING IN HANDS. What I was supposed to work on a few weeks ago, except I haven't caught anything in weeks.

It looks so fun. I want to try it! You catch your trick and then work on your swing, meaning you arch when you're to the far side of the catcher and do your swing and maybe turn around to catch the bar again. I WANT TO CATCH THE BAR.

First catch attempt: I went a split second before Rhuben said Hep. (I could tell he was going to say it.) Waiting is so hard on this trick. Ruben caught me.

I thought the trick was fine. Spain said I released one hand at a time. Oops.

Second catch attempt: I went way early on this one. Rhuben caught me anyway. He later said she shouldn't have, he was just being nice.
Shain reminded me that the first rule of trapeze is WAIT FOR THE HEP.
Sorry. It's a trick where you're just looking for the catcher. You actually have a lot of time to wait for them, once you're in position.

Third attempt (because it was a small class). I waited. And Rhuben caught my hands. He hiked me up to his wrists for a proper catch. He said he was waiting on me to go. Haha. I actually waited this time so it was a tiny bit off. But Rhuben's amazing and caught me three times.




Three for three ain't bad. So that's why I think these socks are lucky socks. (And they keep my feet warm).

And that's a wrap. We can shelve that trick for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment