Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Flying Trapeze: Bullet Drop

I got my bullet drop tonight. Hooray. I struggled a little too long with something I should have gotten the first time, but hooray, progress.

The bullet drop is the flat back drop to the net after you practice your warm up swing. I've landed on my butt, released late and somersaulted out of it. But tonight I had two solid drops. It's all in the hips. Not legs. You go straight, like plank, thrust your hips out so you're in a straight line. Then drop.

Hooray. Let's hope I can keep this up for next class.

Today, we worked a lot on my one-handed take-off. I still need to throw the bar up more. I need to dip my wrist more and to the right. Dave was showing me how to do it on the board (like we're dancing. Dave is so fun.) We did more practice take-offs.

I know it's a real struggle. The girl in the last Sunday class was working on this. I need to get this.

The motion is kind of weird. I was trying to turn my wrist out and I think it's in and down. (Or could be vice versa!). And I keep tension in my wrist when I need it to go slack. Sigh.

We practiced my swing for three or four times tonight. It does look like a swing (It's not horrible, and it's not effortless). I'm missing calls, missing my timing, piking. I get it in pieces, the front half, and then have to reset for the back half. I'm a little confused about what I should be doing myself and don't want to anticipate, but rather wait for the call. Like I should be arching, and they're not calling it anymore. And I'm not sure what to do on extend. It will get there. That's why you work on it every class.

More backend split practice. My first run through, I didn't get my thigh up against the bar, so it was a "floating split" and so I wasn't really ever in position. And I couldn't arch because I wasn't in position.

Try #2, my timing was off. I couldn't get into position fast enough. And I let go to early on hep.

Onto catches.

I swear I'm working on my blooper real, because on hep, I only let go of the bar with one arm. I don't know if I hesitated. But that was an awful mess.

Onto second attempt, and I was one second too slow getting into position and the timing wasn't there.

Watching this back, and my takeoff position is awful. 
I need to put my hips out more. 


I've been wanting a fast trick. This is it. And I'm not fast enough.

So this is class #2 I didn't catch my backend split. I should have gotten this last class.

Maybe I'll head to the pullup bar and practice position.

Also, does flying trapeze hurt my back? I think it might be time to go back to the chiropractor.

I'm at this intermediate stage—between the easy tricks and not quite at the next level of tricks. Backend tricks don't look difficult, but really are. And I'm in a class of 8 people who have all been flying for more than a year and taken multiple workshops. So I want to be so much better than I am. One day though....

No comments:

Post a Comment