Friday, July 11, 2014

Exercising while tired/ Rolling my ankle (again!)

I can't tell if it's swollen. Maybe?

There's this fine line between pushing through fatigue for a better workout to working out tired and getting hurt. I don't know where this line is. I try to listen to my body and sometimes I know and sometimes I don't.

When I tore a ligament in October, I was doing a second hour of working out. I was trying something new and crazy and I was tired. Really tired and not paying attention. Looking back, I shouldn't have done that second hour.

Last night, I did an hour of circuit training and then was really tired at the beginning of cardio, my second class. I had no energy. I had a stitch in my abs. I just wanted to go home. But I was at the gym. And I felt like I was more tired than I should be.

We were playing four square and I was running over to another square and I rolled my ankle. It twisted too much to the side and my foot rolled under. I fell. I knew the feeling.

"Are you okay," a friend asks.

"I'm out," I said and stood up, leaving them with three people for a four-person game. "I think I rolled it," I said and hobbled off the trampoline. My ankle is tingling. Not a good sign. It's not a stabbing pain, but it lets me know something is wrong.

I have one of those ankles that occasionally rolls. Especially if I'm wearing too high heels. It will roll out of place. I'll be off kilter for a few steps and that's it. But this roll was somewhere between that roll and October's sprain.

I walk around the gym testing my ankle. I can walk. It's stiff, but not impossible. I elevate my ankle and ice it for about 10 minutes. I'm too anxious to sit still much longer. It doesn't hurt like last time, but there is pain and it's not in my head. I do some of the ankle stretches from last time. None of them hurt. Fingers crossed it's not bad.

I was tired and not paying attention to body position. And I was just thinking about how I haven't been doing my physical therapy. I should do more toe raises and keep meaning to run once a week or so.

But I really was tired. I didn't realize it until afterwards.  I usually workout 5-7 hours a week with two days off. But this week:

Sunday: 90 minutes of acro yoga.
Monday: 60 minutes circuits, 60 minutes cardio.
Tuesday: 90 minutes climbing
Wednesday: 60 minutes cardio, 90 minutes tumbling
Thursday: 60 minutes circuits + another class.

Adding acro yoga  into my mix is something I need to start considering and then adding that one cardio class made more of an impact that I realized. I'd already done 8.5 hours before I started the class.

This morning I woke up and the ankle was not purple and puffy. It's a little stiff and sore. Flexing it and moving it to the right are both a tad tender.  It tried to roll again when I was walking the dog in flip-flops. I need to be wearing shoes.

I am wearing a compression sock, icing it, keeping it elevated, doing my stretches and hoping that in the next week it's back to normal.

If not, there's always spin class, abs and wall sits.

No comments:

Post a Comment