Thursday, July 10, 2014

Adventures in Climbing Shoes

Today's adventure was looking for climbing shoes. If the hubby and I are going to climb regularly, it would be nice to have our own shoes. The rentals are always beat up looking and the velcro pops open when I'm at the top of a wall. Not cool!

I couldn't find anything online cheaper than $70-$80, which I really only want to pay $40 for climbing shoes, if I climb once a month or so. The hubby said they were having a sale at the local outdoor outfitters store and texted me a picture of some climbing shoes for $49.99—the same shoes that are $80 elsewhere. I decided to go have a look.



Meanwhile, they didn't have the sale shoe in his size, so he bought $90 lace-up climbing shoes. I sure hope he's going to climb a lot, because at $3 a rental, he'd have to climb 30 times to get his money's worth.

I went to the store later that day. The sale shoe was a velcro shoe, and I think I'd rather have a lace up, so I could tighten it. But I'm not sure it's worth twice the price. It didn't actually matter. The size 7 in the sale shoe was too small. I tried an 8 and oddly that fit. (I have never in my life worn bigger than a 7.5). Only, the catch was that only the display was the sale price. That 7 that was too small was the only $49.99 shoe. The 8 he brought me that was an identical  style was $80. He didn't tell me that until I was trying on a different style, still velcro, but it fit better and was that plum/fuchsia color I like so much. I was't paying $100 for climbing shoes I'd barely use so I left the store without buying anything.

I liked the way these 5.10 Rogue shoes fit better than
the other shoes, but not for $100.

Now the hunt is on for inexpensive climbing shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment