Thursday, November 8, 2018

Quitting physical therapy

After 2 visits to the physical therapist, I've called it quits.




Today I got an email from my insurance that my claim had been received and I checked to see how much I owed for the two visits. And enough to make me cancel visit #3.

The money
My husband saw this same physical therapists a few years ago. I think it ended up being like $80 a visit. So I was thinking I'd pay the same.

I guess I should have asked what I was paying for, because the doctor billed my insurance $292.50 for the first visit. My second visit was billed at $172.50. I haven't met my deductible yet so I'll have to pay for all of that. I think I'm on the hook for $174 for the first visit after my insurance paid their share. The second claim hasn't processed yet.I'm guessing $350 total.

That's just a lot of money. And do I really want another visit when I don't think it will help? I haven't been impressed with my results so far. It might be okay for $80, but not $300. I have different standards.

No results
After 1 visit my knee was the same. The visit helped me none. Actually, the exercise he gave me to do made my back hurt and made my hips go out of line the opposite way. So ugh.

I wanted my thigh dry needled. He promised to dry needle on visit 2. He didn't.

Visit 2. The doc told me to get light stability shoes. And now my achilles are tight and my other knee and calf hurts. And my back still hurts. (The doctor was rather rude about the shoe issue. That's a big reason for not coming back.)

My lateral quad finally released two days after therapy. But I attribute this to decreased mileage, not the cupping that felt like nothing.

I realize we have to fix some things and things might be worse before they're better, but I'm not really that hurt. And I'd rather save my money for a real injury. I'm not sold on the pronation diagnosis.
• Before I got fitted at the running store for my neutral shoes, I wore whatever shoe was cute. And I did wear stability shoes, before I knew what that was. I had knee issues with those shoes. (AND NOT SINCE THE NEUTRAL SHOE).
• I've run for almost a year and a half with no knee issues. I think the issue would have come up before. I think something changed to aggravate my knee.
• I'm not a heel striker. I do track work on my toes.

And he wanted to see me again in a week. Which shoes/inserts won't fix a knee problem in a week. So this makes no sense.

I canceled my appointment because I don't think the treatment is helping. I think time off would have had the same results. And mostly, I don't want to spend $175 for no results. I can get a massage for cheaper. If I get worse, I'll go back. Back I'd consider another therapist or asking the cost before I get a service, or just going to another Physical Therapy business. They should show me a bill as I'm leaving like other medical providers. I'm unhappy with being overcharged and unimpressed with a lack of results.

**Update, I quit physical therapy. I got a massage (I tried to get one earlier, but the appointment got moved). My legs are happy. I wasted a ton of money on a PT I wouldn't see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment