Sunday, November 25, 2018

I can do hard things

The one where Sara runs in the cold. And doesn't complain (during the run). 

Hiding from the cold. This is not what I ran in.

I hate running in the cold. I hate the cold. And the weather here has been cold and gross. It's freezing to even take the dog out. It's been rainy and foggy and I miss the sun.

I was supposed to do my long run Saturday. But it was cold. And there was a football game (that messes with traffic and parking). So Matt talked me into doing my junk miles Saturday. And my long run Sunday.

I spent most of Sunday dreading the run.

• I looked up if the indoor track was open.
• I considered shortening the run.
• I looked up ordering treadmills
• I contemplated moving even further south.
• I kept adding more clothes to my race outfit. I went from crops to full length tights, a short sleeve to a long sleeve.

It was supposed to get up to 60 today. But the temperature kept changing. High of 55. High of 51. High of 47. UGH. (It was colder Sunday. I should have done my run Saturday like I wanted.)

We decided to run at 3 p.m.. It was 44 when we left the house. 44! I brought road shoes in case I needed to cut my run short and run indoors instead.

Mile 1. It was okay. I wasn't too cold. (I was also listening to a podcast for distraction.)
And I made it into a 3 mile loop. Then I got water. I didn't feel like I needed it, but no use getting dehydrated.
Then my watch stopped. Yay long sleeve shirts.

I started another 3 mile loop. At mile 6, I took a bathroom break. I looked in the mirror and my hands were bright red from the cold. The sleeves have thumb pockets but my hands would get cold and I'd ball them up inside my shirt. Possibly I'd be too hot in gloves.

And then I was on the last loop of the run. And I felt fine. Matt's watch buzzed for 10 miles and I felt like I could run another 3. Which is crazy. Because usually I don't run well in the cold.

I ran 10 miles in 45 degree weather and I am so proud of myself! I usually don't run outside if it's below 50. And I did it. And I did fine. (I also took my inhaler before the run, wore a neck warmer and dressed appropriately.)

It wasn't actually THAT bad. The fall leaves were pretty. I'm glad I did it, but can we please have some warmer weather?

Afterwards, Matt and I got burgers. He wanted a burger and I wanted a turkey burger. The restaurant wasn't busy at all and we got the food to go. They told us 10-15 minutes. After 20 minutes had gone by I was about to 1) kill someone 2) just leave without my food and go next-door to Taco Bell. I was also getting COLD from sitting there without moving. I didn't sweat much but my arms, especially elbows, were cold. So burgers were our reward for 10 miles of trails. We earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment