Sunday, June 4, 2017

Workouts this week: May 29-June 4

May 29: OFF
I was off work today and was excited to run, but while planning my mileage for the week, it didn't look like a good idea. I'd be running seven days in a row, and didn't really want to do speedwork on day 6 and a long run on day 7. So I rested.

I did attempt to take Mojo to walk a trail, but it started raining.

May 30: Speed work at the track




I am so weird about speed workouts. I dread them. Walking to the track is like walking to my doom. I worry I'll run slow. That I won't be able to run 7:30 miles. I stall and stall and stall. And then I do the workout and feel GREAT afterwards. GREAT.

I killed the workout. So I don't know why I dread them so much.

Today's workout was 1600, 1200, 800, 400.

I walked two laps and then ran a warmup lap and stretched (1:52).

1600: 7:11. And this was EASY PACING and pulling WAY back in the last 100. I was shooting for 7:30/7:40 pace. (I WANT TO BREAK 7:00 SO BAD)
1200: 5:18 (6:38 pace)
800:  3:20 (6:40 pace)
400: 1:22. (And I passed the the two fast guys FTW)

I had told the coach I wanted to run 7:30 pace. He suggested 7:40. I ran faster pace the entire time and felt great. This is part because I had Monday off. And I can run all day with breaks in between. But this was a great workout and I REALLY WANT TO break 7 minutes for a mile.

May 31: Long run (separate post) 
Today was the Athens Road Runners Trail Series. Cook's Trail was up and I was  excited to finally try it.

The group met at 6 p.m. There were almost 20 people there—a good crowd. And we ran. I ran with Michael Klipper and Team Sara (Cera Jones, and Sarah Everett) and a few others. Pace was around 9:30 a mile. THEN I decided to BE CRAZY and run all of Cook's trail, which is about 4 in and then 4 back. So I ran another mile. And this was the hilly mile. The first half mile was fine. But then it got awful and I walked the hill. (So 11 minute mile) and then I got back to normal, easy-isn pace. (It was hot. so hot!)

Overall, I really liked the trail. And you have to do the out and back. You can't get to mile 6 and hop back to your car. So I think I'd like for my long run. I'd definitely go back.

• The trail was a little muddy the day we went. Apparently it wasn't too bad.
• One of the bridges was very bouncy (watch out!) I wasn't expecting that
• It was pretty flat and not too hilly, except for in mile 3-4. That last half mile after the gate is brutal
• There's lots of boardwalk to run on. (Some of it is slippery, but not too bad)
• There's a cool section that runs UNDER the road. (HOW COOL IS THAT!?)

There were also some cool bug sculptures

June 1: Athens Running Company Group Run
In an effort to try out the different group runs, I finally got around to the Thursday ARC run. I ran the 3.3 mile route. Half with the group and the other half by myself, since everyone my speed took the long route. I like the route better than the Fleet Feet Run.


June 2: I don’t wanna run speed work 
I didn’t want to run today. I stalled and stalled and stalled. And finally decided to see how fast I could run two miles. 14:22. Even splits. Small break. Then 1.375 mile cool down at about 8 minute pace for 3.5 miles at the indoor track.

June 3: ARR group run
I went to the Athens Road Runners 7:15 a.m. run JUST to get my ARR singlet. I did the 3 mile route. It was flat and pretty. And then we awkwardly sat around while everyone else chatted over coffee. Not great at socializing.






So excited to have a singlet!


June 4: long run with wasps
See separate post. Did yoga that evening




No comments:

Post a Comment