Sunday, June 11, 2017

Workouts this week: June 5-11

June 5: OFF
I had big plans to lift weights in BodyPump today, but was exhausted so Monday was my day off. I needed a nap.

Tuesday: Speed Work




The track is closed so speedwork was on the sidewalk outside of the track. I don't know how crazy I looked, but at least I looked crazy with a group. We did a loop. 10 400s. It was humid and gross. And I was working. I ran about 1:38 every 400. 1:27 for my last one. And then 1.5 mile cool down. I was so pooped, I can barely do the cool down (but really needed to.)

Future workout will be at another track.

Wednesday: Group run


Today was Global Running Day, so we joined the Athens Road Runners for their group run and potluck. (I love potlucks! I brought grilled chicken nuggets from Chick Fil-A). They had a 3 mile route and it was so HILLY. OMG. Hills. I didn't like the route. I died. I should have run slower.  (Not to self: Do not run this route next year).

Tino made a super fun video of the runs. And the potluck was fun. I should have socialized more. !!


Thursday: Hills
Today was day one of my week off work, so I spent the morning running hills. Sounds about right. I ran two easy miles (9-10 minute miles), then 5 hill repeats (at a pretty glacial pace, but I picked the last one up), and then two cool down miles.
(And I think Thursday should be my designated hills day.)






Then I drove 7 hours to the beach. I do not recommend sitting for 7 miles after running 6 miles of hills. My butt cramped so badly. And pushing my foot down on the gas for that long just aggravating a ton of muscles. I tried using cruise control as much as I could and stretching the leg and foot as much as I could. I finally got in, and walked a mile on the beach, which helped some.




Friday: Beach run 
I was at the beach so I headed to the beach for a run. I ran along Highway 98 on the Gulf of Mexico. The sidewalk goes on forever. I ran for two miles and headed back a total of four miles. I'm on central time, but my brain is still on East Coast time, so I was up early. I did my run 7:30 a.m. my time, 6:30 a.m. their time. It was supposed to be a sunny day. No chance of rain. At the halfway point it looked like rain (weird). And as soon as I finished my run, it started pouring.



I had planned to go to beach yoga, but it poured so I didn't.

I did do some my cool down on the beach. So fun to put my toes in the ocean first thing in the morning.

Saturday






I was going to do my long run today, but couldn’t find a long route. So I ran around this golf course I found. My sister took me there for breakfast for breakfast. The area has hotels, condos and shopping and great sidewalks shaded by palm trees. It looked like a pretty run for me, so I went with her there (she’d never run there before). Pretty run, lots of great views. I ran too fast, but I barely looked at my pace. I just ran.

Sunday: Long run




I had written off my long run as not happening this week. Too much road running has made my right leg twinge with very beginning stages of tendonitis (above my ankle, IT band, some shin pain.) Not bad yet. It doesn’t hurt to run, but worrisome enough to make me keep an eye on it.

I was looking for a trail to run (because too much pavement). I couldn’t find anything online. Google searches. Strava segment searches. NOTHING.

Then around 10 p.m. my (Eagle scout) brother-in-law mentioned a trail, he thought it would be four miles to the lake. So perfect for an eight mile run. He’s hiked out there before and recommends it.

I search this trail. It’s not online anywhere. He gives me directions, and shows me a picture of where to park (turn on highway 83, look for a sign and park on the side of the road.) But it’s the right length.

So I go out there. And my plan is if I can’t find it or it looks sketchy, to figure something else out. Get 4 in on the road somewhere near a beach.



But I find. Exactly where’s it’s supposed to be. I stretch and see a tiny old lady walking her dog, and take that as a good sign.

I run. The trail is one person wide, with plants that skim your shins. It’s narrow. It’s also very well marked. There are orange signs every few seconds on the trail. I stop to take pictures of a few parts.



And some parts are sandy. I stop twice to adjust my shoes. My toes were rubbing against the end of the shoe, so I changed the laces for a heel lock and that helped. (I didn’t bring trail shoes, so I was wearing road shoes).

I make it to the halfway point and text my sister (so she knows I’m okay.)

At mile 5 it starts raining. At first it’s a sprinkle and then it starts pouring. I don’t mind running in the rain, but I don’t want to run in wet shoes. That leads to blisters.

But there’s no stopping. There’s no shelter, so I have to get back to my car.

At mile 7 or so, it stops raining. I stop to wring out my socks. (Features, which held up really well. No blisters! But I still felt like I was sloshing).

I’m running in my sports bra at this point (tank is soaked so I tucked it in my shorts.)



I see another runner (a first!) and I’m almost back to my car.

I get to mile 8 with half a mile left to go and I realize I don’t see any more of those orange signs every few feet. Oops. I run back in the direction I came until I get to 8.5.

At this point, I should be at my car. I’m not. I pull out Strava and I’m a good ways away from the highway my car is parked on. I start running, and I’m going further away from the highway.

At this point it starts thundering loudly. I sprint. And I’m still nowhere near my car.

I see orange signs, blue signs, a trail that I know leads out to the road about a mile from my car. I follow it for a bit, but it’s too muddy.

It’s been 20 minutes and I still haven’t found my car. I tell Siri I’m lost. I ask her where I am (Santa Rosa). I eventually decide to give it 20 more minutes before I call the park service.
I use strava like a GPS and find my way back to my car.

1.5 miles later (remember I was .5 mile off course!) I find my car. The trail was really winding, so that’s why the GPS didn’t look like I was going towards the highway.

I’m not sure I’ve ever been so happy to see my car. I take off my sandy, wet shoes, strip off the tank, and get back on the road happy my adventure was over.

The trail was really nice. I’m not sure HOW I got so turned around. I’m glad I didn’t panic. And I’m thankful for iPhones and technology to help me find my phone (though not Siri. She was no help.)

Totals:
Runs: 6
Miles: 30.8
New routes: 3 in Florida


No comments:

Post a Comment