Sunday, June 18, 2017

Workouts this week: June 12-18

June 12: Off
Today was my off day. It was also a travel day. I walked a mile on the beach this morning.



Then, I drove 7 hours and 15 minutes home. My iPhone said 6 hours and 22 minutes but then traffic happened. Ugh. I had to walk some after the drive to stretch my legs out.

I really wanted to do a mile run some Road Runners were having, but my legs were so sore I'm sure I would have pulled something.

Tuesday: June 13: Double session

I was off work today. I didn't get up in time for 6:30 a.m. yoga. I did go to noon TRX yoga, which I haven't done in forever. I just could never make it fit into my schedule. The classes were too late in the evening.

But I love yoga and love TRX. The yoga is super fast paced. And I forgot how HARD the TRX is. I couldn't do all the reps. Ugh. Out of shape.

Speed work in the heat
Tuesdays are for speed work, so we met at a high school track (while the university track is being resurfaced). I almost went to run indoors, but Matt said he needed to train in the heat.  It was 91 degrees outside. Ugh. Then I searched the benefits of training in the heat. Turns out there are some benefits.

The plan was to run 4 800s. Only, the high school had some kind of track practice, so we did the 800s in the outside lane, so it was longer than an 800. We ended up doing .25 miles more than 2 miles with the extra length. We did maybe a three minute break between them. This was a mix of walking, jogging and getting water.

Splits
1) 3:56 (7:09 pace)
2) 3:51 (7:07 pace)
3) 3:49 (7:01 pace)
4) 3:28 (621 pace) Matt and i raced to the end at this one. I thought I was going to win, but he surged ahead in the last 30 or so meters and I gave up a little.

Then we ran a very slow mile cool down. I drank a ton of water. But I survived. Matt was pretty proud of himself for out sprinting me at the end.

Wednesday: June 14, hills + weights
Usually do hills on Thursday, BUT I was off work today and the weather looked bad for Thursday so I did hills.

2 easy miles
6 hill repeats (.2 miles up and back down)
2 easy miles



BodyPump
Did my first weights class since April or May. Knew I was going to die. My quads hurt bad for days afterwards. But I did it. It was awful, so that means it's good for me, right?

Patriotic shirt for Flag Day


June 15: Treadmill
It stormed from 4:45 p.m. on. Bursts of torrential thunder storms. Matt and I had texted plans to run 5 miles. I came home. And told him I needed a quick nap (20 minutes) and then would be ready to go. I napped, got in my running clothes and ready in time to find him eating a croissant—clearly not going to run any time soon. So I walked the dog. He told me to wait until 8 to run. (Though I was already starving). At 7:30 the weather forecast looked even worse so I ANGRILY headed to the gym for a treadmill workout.

We had plans. He bailed. This is why we never run together.

I got 5.25 + warmup in on the treadmill. My Garmin said 5 miles. The speeds on my garmin and the treadmill were different too. Sigh. I feel like running on the treadmill is so much harder. I struggle for 9:30 miles on a treadmill. I'm fine with 8:30 easy miles on the road. On the treadmill, my stride is shorter, my arms have nowhere to go. I hate treadmill running, but I never do it. I don't think I've run on the treadmill for a year and a half—since the indoor track was closed.

June 16: off
Today was supposed to be more speed work at the indoor track. I don't know if I slept poorly the night before but I was bone tired today. Exhausted. I decided I needed the day off. I won't make mileage for the week, but I need rest. I'm listening to my body.

Unfortunately, my body is also rebelling. I've lost too much weight and I can't stop eating. Today I was craving carbs. I ate an entire Your Pie pizza for lunch (been craving it for two weeks).

June 17: Group run

I wanted to run Cook's Trail today, but had no one to run it with and my quads were still sore from bodypump the other day, so I went to the group run instead. I ran 6 miles. I met a few people. (An extrovert adopted me. Thanks Christina! I told her I was really good at being awkward).

And I really had no plans for the afternoon. A neighbor invited us to go rock climbing, so we went. It was fun. My forearms are so sore.



June 18: Things that make me run fast
Today I learned that even after running 8 miles I can still sprint. And apparently, I'm afraid of raccoons. (See separate post) 9 mile run with some sprints at the end.

Then I went to yoga at 6:30 p.m. After taking longer yoga classes, the 60 minute yoga class seemed to short. And I was reminded why I like Ramsey Yoga class. I can go early and warmup. I like the padded floor. I like the mirrors to see form. And there's room to spread out. (I also don't like the backbends in the sun salutation—none of those in Ramsey.)

Runs this week: 5
Miles run: 30.5 (missed a day and still made mileage. Hooray!)
+ yoga class, TRX yoga class, weights class

No comments:

Post a Comment