Monday, September 7, 2015

Yoga Cat helps with Crow pose


I am not a yogi. I have done exactly one yoga class in my life and it was one the trampoline. I keep wondering if yoga is something I should take up.

The problem is I'm pretty ADD (not diagnosed, but super short attention span). So maybe it's worth researching the different types of yoga. I like athletic feats. I like learning poses. I did try acro yoga (doesn't count) for a few classes.

The one takeaway from that first workout was the L handstand, which I really like. It's super challenging too.



I was wasting time on the inter webs last night and saw an article about how to do a handstand. Yes! This is where I am. A year later and still working on my handstand.

One of the steps was a yoga pose called crow. It requires strength and balance—the same fundamentals you need for a handstand. I decided I immediately had to try it. The steps were really helpful. It took me a few tries to hold it more than a millisecond. (The toes together trick really helped!)  I did fall on my face once (and did not break my glasses). I put my iPhone on selfie mode, because it helps to see my form, to see where I'm struggling or if I'm getting it.

And the cat decided to plop himself down about two feet behind me. So I had to not fall on him.

I guess he wanted his picture taken.


And here's how to do crow pose, if you're interested: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Yoga-Pose-Week-Crow-1556159

• Begin in a Wide Squat. Place your palms firmly on the ground in front of you.

• Now straighten your legs slightly and place your knees as high up onto your triceps as possible, toward your armpits.

• Shift your weight forward into your hands and see if you can lean the weight of your knees into the backs of your arms. Then try lifting one foot off the ground and then the other. If you can bring your toes together, you'll feel more compact and it'll be easier to balance. Squeeze your knees together slightly and pull your belly button in towards your spine to give you a sense of lightness.

• Stay here for five breaths or you can work on straightening your arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment