Sunday, September 13, 2015

SUP: Sunk Cost


My brother-in-law on his paddle board. 

This post should be about StandUp Paddle Board Yoga, but I didn't go.

UGA's rec sports offers a class at nearby Lake Chapman. I thought it would be a cool class to try on my list of fun things to try.

The class sold-out quickly. I got on the waitlist. A few days before the class, I got off the wait list and paid $35 to go on the trip, which was a mistake.

I had thought it would be an hour-long class. But it was listed as a trip from 11 a.m.-4 p.m., which is way too many hours in the sun for someone with fair skin like me. I figured I could always leave early. (And paddleboarding seemed a tad boring last time I did it. Not sure I have the attention span for that.)

Then, a cold front came in. And the weather was 63 degrees, which is way too cold to play in the water. And the trip leader moved the trip back to a 9:45 a.m. start.

I don't own a wetsuit. Or even a rash guard. I live in Georgia where it's 80 degrees until October.

And I'm really sensitive to the cold. I hate it. I shivering when it was 68 degrees last night. I've been kayaking in this weather before and I was miserable. I've even gotten bronchitis from cold wet weather.

So I wasted my money and decided not to be cold and miserable. Instead, I went to body shred, got groceries and did my Sunday chores. Oh well for the wasted money. At least I didn't get sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment