Sunday, December 24, 2017

Workouts this week: Christmas Eve edition

Monday: Off

Christmas tights
Tuesday: Speed work—800 repeats

I was the only person to show up at speed work tonight. OMG. I kinda felt like doing an easy 5 miler, but I did the workout since Mike showed up.

He ran the first one with me. The plan was to run an easier pace for the first one, 3:40-ish and then settle into 3:30 800s.

3:33 for my first 800. A tad fast. But super controlled.

I ran by myself and didn't look at my watch because it was dark out. I warned Mike it might not be the best workout because I've been eating a ton of sweets at the office.

3:19
3:17
3:15
3:11 (he ran this one with me. I was dead.)

Which was faster than we had planned. I think I worked hard, but not too hard. I was pretty winded after sets 3 and 4. The final one was pretty hard. I didn't have anything left to push at the end. Which maybe means I did the workout right. Yes, it's faster than my 5k pace, but I like running fast. And this was faster than my last set of 800s repeats, but only barely.



Wednesday: medium run

I did 5 miles. And I really felt tired today. I think I was mostly tired because work has been crazy for two weeks. Probably I was a little tired from the speed work, but this easy run was a chore to get through. I finished mile one and a half and I was ready to be done. I think the fatigue was mostly mental. I ended up going to bed early.

The pool at the gym. It's fun to watch the swimmers.
The gym was empty for the holidays this week. 

Thursday: Off
I am always tired on Thursdays. Weird.

Friday: Medium run
I did 6.25 miles at the indoor track today. My goal was to get one last run in at the indoor track before the gym closed for the holidays. (I would have run outside but it was rainy and gross.)

I did four miles and then decided to do two miles at 10k pace (or around 7:30).

I ran mile 5 in 7:50. I had trouble changing speed.
Miles 6 was 7:28 and that took serious pushing.

I usually run fast or easy, so running fast after running easy was a challenge.

I also did a yoga class on my lunch break, which was nice. 45-minute yoga classes are perfect.

Saturday: Long run
I did 9 miles of trails today. My husband came along with me. I led the first four miles and then I let him take the lead. BUT I went to get water at the halfway mark and the water fountain was turned off, so I ran to the next water fountain and that was turned off too. At this point we were near the car, so we got our bottles of water and went back to the run. After another mile of running, I just couldn't do any more hills. I had a tiny cold and my chest just couldn't do another hill climb so for the last 2.5 miles of my run, I did loops of the practice fields. Matt ran the trails. I finished a minute before him. But I did my long run. With a cold. And then we went out and got burgers. Which was very delicious and well deserved.

Turkey burger with sweet potatoes and broccoli

Sunday: Off
I'd logged my 25 miles for the week so I took Sunday off too. It was also Christmas Eve and we had family in town, so not running freed up some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment