Saturday, December 30, 2017

2017 year in review




I guess 2017 was the year of running.

In 2013 and 2014 I was into trampolines. 2015 was trapeze and barre. 2016 was my year of trying new classes and 2017 was my year of running.

I ran more than 1,000 miles, which I think is amazing.

I joined the Athens Road Runners, I started going to weekly speed work sessions, I made running friends, I did races, I found new places to run. I got faster.

Races: I did 8 races this year. Some of them were awesome. Some of them I would NOT do again (that 4-H race was THE WORST and I never want to race in 44 degrees and windy again).

Favorite race: I’m going to say the Chick Fil-A half the half, because it changed how my whole year went. I did well in that race and it propelled me to keep going, to start doing speed work, to join the Road Runners, to meet new friends, and get involved volunteering at races and working on the Road Runners newsletter. It was a turning point.

Favorite race #2: I also really loved my last race in Florida. It was flat and perfect temperature. I had a fast race and I got to share it with my brother, who I don’t see much.

Favorite gear of 2017
Favorite shoes: Nike Pegasus. I finally went to a running store and got fitted instead of buying what’s cute and on sale. I love running in these shoes. (And they come in so many colors and I can get the old models on sale, so WIN.)
Favorite running clothes: My go to running outfit is a Lululemon sports bra (run stuff your bra is my favorite), a Lululemon or Under Armour tank, and Lululemon fast and free crops (my absolute favorite.)
Run hats: I’m all about run hats and this year I like my Oiselle hat, my Headsweats hat and a Run Georgia hat from the local running store.
I picked up a pair of arm warmers, which I’ve only used twice, which I also like.
Compression socks are a must after a race or long run. Love them.

Favorite place to run: Cook’s trail. Because it’s mostly flat, gorgeous and a nice long run.

Favorite distance: I’ve been running longer and longer this year. I do like an 8 mile long run, Six easy miles are nice too.

This time last year I was running 10-12 miles a week, and maybe had done one six-miler ever. I’ve upped my miles to 25 a week and run 4-5 days a week. I try to do two yoga classes a week.

I KNOW I should lift weights, but it makes my muscles tight and more prone to injury, so that’s something to work on.

Also, there’s now a Lululemon outlet in North Georgia. It’s 90 minutes away. It has a good sized selections. The sale prices vary. Usually you can find a deal. And usually I spend too much money. (I went this week and got 4 sports bras, shorts, a dress shirt, run gloves, and a Sea Wheeze tank top.)

And I found some new run gear: Gone for a Run has awesome run stuff and I have a “Kinda wanna go on a run, kinda wanna take a nap” sweatshirt from Sarah Marie Design studio.

I also volunteered at my first race and want to do more of that next year. And it's really fun to hang out at races (as in taking pictures or supporting friends while not running.)



No comments:

Post a Comment