Sunday, May 28, 2017

Workouts this week: May 22-28

Monday: Group run
For the third week in a row, we went to the Fleet Feet group run. It rained all day. I thought it would run during the run, but it surprisingly didn't.

We went on the five mile route. Matt left me. I was towards the back of the second or so group. I wanted to run a 8:30-9 minute mile pace. But in order not to be left, I was running low 8:20s and still trailing the group by a ton. I was trying to keep a guy in a green shirt in sight so I didn't get left behind. (I couldn't see the next group of runners behind me.) So I ran hard to keep up with them because I don't quite know the route. I kept hoping for breaks at the traffic lights, but I made EVERY SINGLE CROSSWALK SIGN. There was no waiting when all I wanted was a break.

Afterwards, I wanted it to rain. I was so hot. I did meet some other runners. Yay. Slowly meeting running people.

(Small runners high when I got home, so maybe I didn't push too too hard? Still recovering from my race)

Tuesday: Speedwork
Today's workout sounded fine in the email the coach sent. Warmup a lap. Stretch. Two 800s at 5k or 10k pace. Then 21 minutes, run hard (5k pace) for 60 seconds and then slow job recovery for 60 seconds. I figured I could do that (even recovering from a race.)

Today's workout was themed girl power. It was two of the faster women runners, who win races, and one of their friends. So I tried to keep up. I was still the slowest one out there by a ton. Matt and another guy were behind.

My 800s were fast. 3:38 and 3:25

Then on to the workout. I kept hitting the pause instead of lap button on my watch. And it was showing me a screen like I passed my run when I didn't. It was super confusing. Ugh.

I think the goal was 7:30 pace but I ran a sub 7 minute pace every time I glanced at my watch. Then jogged and then did it again. It made me feel like I was going to barf

1 6.57 pace
3 7:08 pace
5 7:32 pace
7 7:03 pace
9 6:34 pace
11 6:19 pace
17 6:59 pace
19 6:23 pace
21 6:03 pace

And I'm missing two fast laps and one jog lap. Oops.

This workout was brutal. It reminded me of high school track workouts. I like a challenge and probably needed this. I whined to my sister a little about this workout.

 Wednesday: Off
I was going to do some easy miles today, but I went home and took a nap instead. It rained so maybe it worked out for the best. My brain was tired. Not so much my legs. Went to bed early.

Thursday: Trail run with a group
I was invited to a group run with some of the FAST Athens women's runners. Of course I went. We ran at the botanical garden at a conversational pace. My Garmin didn't start until about two minutes in, so oops. My watch said 3.5 miles. Most other's said 3.7. One lady's said 4 miles.

My Garmin put me at 11-minute mile pace, which was conversational. (I should have brought my heart rate monitor.) And to be honest, I've never run that pace before. Maybe I should? My race pace and my easy pace aren't all that different.

So we ran the trails. The other ladies talked about teaching this summer or books. I'm pretty sure I was the only one without a master's.

Then I had to shake that speed out of my legs, so after I got home (I also had extra energy), I ran 2 miles in the neighborhood. I ran into Becky.

Friday: Pilates + steep trail
I went to noon pilates. 40 minutes of core. I needed that.

After work, I tried a new trail: Birchmore trail in Memorial Park. Ugh. It was so steep. My pace was like 12-minute miles (run/walk). I wouldn't recommend it. It's short and technical. Not sure I'll go back.




Saturday: Athens Road Runners
This was our first Saturday run with the Athens Road Runners. There were three and six mile options. I was leaning towards doing the three and then running long Sunday. But everyone was doing six miles. All of the people I kind of know were doing six, so I yielded to peer pressure and did 6. Though I didn't really want to do that many miles.

The run was nice. I ran with Sally and chatted about Peachtree. And then after 5 miles I fell back and ran/walk mile 6. It was hot. Then it was coffee and conversation at Hendershots.


I didn't get the neon memo. Oops. 


Sunday 3 miles + yoga
I needed to run 2 miles today to make my goal of 25 miles for the week. I didn't know WHERE I wanted to run. I've been running a lot of roads lately so I decided trails. And since it had been raining, I went to my usual trails—the IM Fields, because they don't get TOO TOO muddy unless it monsoons. I looked for Strava routes I hadn't tried before. There was a 2.3 mile loop that's part road and trail and starts at the gym and crosses the main road. For a Sunday morning, I figured I could get across the street just fine. So that was my route. (And no woman had attempted it before so guaranteed course record IF I could find the route.)

I felt great so I managed to smoke the course, 18:51 for a new course record. I averaged 7:54s and had a great time up the hill that always kills me. So a pretty good run.

Geese. I am afraid they will chase me.

New shoes and new shorts.
Didn't realize I was wearing so much Nike. 

Runs this week: 6
Miles: 26.3
1 yoga class

No comments:

Post a Comment