Sunday, May 21, 2017

Workouts this week: May 15-21

May 15: 3 mile group run
It's taper week. And I am tired.

I did another group run today. I tried the 3 mile route. Matt ran with me. (He only ran 12 more miles than me yesterday). It was nice running with him the first two miles. We were taking it easy, running slow, 9 minute miles and not even winded.  It was 88 degrees out but the shaded parts of the route weren't so bad.



The third mile had a MONSTER HILL. It was at least a 6 degree incline (which is a lot) and went up from 200 feet. I had to walk. It was awful. And then the last half mile or so was flat. And there were sprinklers. I ran through them. More sprinklers! It was hot.

We got back and I poured water over my head. I think we were the first ones finished. And maybe we should have done the five mile route. It wasn't as steep.

We also decided, we're never doing that hill again. We'll change up our three mile route if we try it again. No Cloverhurst hill.

Tuesday: Speed work 
I skipped the group track workout for the workout on my plan at the indoor track.

5x400s at 5k pace. There's no point in running 400s at the outdoor track (it's 90 degrees) so I stayed inside.

I'd like to run 7:30 pace for my 5k, so I tried for that pace
• 1:56 (too slow)
• 1:47 (too fast, but this is about where I stayed)
• 1:49
• 1:495
• 1:476

And I did a lap cool down and walked two laps. Then I did some abs and two sets of pushups. The workout uploaded to Strava as 1.25 miles in 26 minutes. (The time between my warmup lap, stretching and my final lap.) Ugh.

Wednesday: Easy 3
The planned workout was supposed to be an easy 3 miles. I wanted to do one at race pace. I should add that it was HOT out.
7:45 (on pace)
8:22
8:04



Then I walked home as to avoid running UP a monster hill. I really liked this route actually. It's down sidewalks near my neighborhood. I think the sidewalk goes on for miles. I ran to the next elementary school and turned around.

I also did a pilates class at lunch.

Thursday: OFF

Friday: OFF
I actually took the day off work too. Not sure I got a lot done, but it was a good day to take off.

Saturday: Race Day
Ran my third 10k. It was humid. My legs were not as trashed as the previous two 10k. Maybe I didn't push as hard? I did make sure to keep moving after the 10k. We took the dog on a walk and I wore compression sleeves all day.

Sunday: 4 recovery miles
Again, I was pleasantly surprised that my legs weren't awful. I felt fine. Not even race tired. I did a four mile road run with Matt. I would have preferred trails but the weather was so weird I wanted to stay close to home. It rained all morning (so the trails would have been soggy) and then when the sun came out and we ran, it was really swampy. It got hot fast. I think the sauna-like feeling did bother Matt more than me. I was just appreciative for all the shady spots of the our run. (I ran the same route as Wednesday but ran back to the house for 4 miles).

No comments:

Post a Comment