Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Cook's Trail


Cook's Trail is the trail that goes from Sandy Creek Nature Center to Sandy Creek Park. I've wanted to try it for awhile. It's an out and back trail that's a little less than 4 miles each way.

And today it was part of the Athens Road Runners Trail Series. I was excited to finally try it.

The group met at 6 p.m. The group's plan was to run 6 miles. To run three and then turn back, or whatever distance you wanted.

There were almost 20 people there—a good crowd. And we ran. I ran with Michael Klipper and Team Sara (Cera Jones, and Sarah Everett) and a few others. Pace was around 9:30 a mile. THEN I decided to BE CRAZY and run all of Cook's trail, which is about 4 in and then 4 back. I figured someone else would want to do the whole trail.

Nope. Just me. I ran the extra mile. And it was a hilly mile. The first half mile was OKAY and then it got mountainous. I walked the hill (So 11 minute mile)  and then I got back to normal, easy-isn pace. (It was hot. so hot!)




Overall, I really liked the trail. And you have to do the out and back. You can't get to mile 6 and hop back to your car (no giving up). So I think I'd like for my long run. I'd definitely go back. (I like it better than the lakeside trail.)

• The trail was a little muddy the day we went. Apparently it wasn't too bad.
• One of the bridges was very bouncy (watch out!) I wasn't expecting that
• It was pretty flat and not too hilly, except for in mile 3-4. That last half mile after the gate is brutal
• There's lots of boardwalk to run on. (Some of it is slippery, but not too bad)
• There's a cool section that runs UNDER the road. (HOW COOL IS THAT!?)

There were also some cool bug sculptures.








No comments:

Post a Comment