Monday, January 30, 2017

Workouts this week: week of Jan. 22



Sunday: BodyPump
Sunday is usually BodyPump + yoga. But I was tired today and didn't even want to go to BodyPump. So I went to BodyPump and skipped yoga. I was tired.

Also meal prep: sheet pan chicken and veggies





Monday: OFF
Much needed off day. My legs were tired so I did a tint bit of exercise bike on the easiest setting, just to get some of the lactic acid out of my legs.

Trail sign. Still got lost ;) 

Sträva leaderboard. Woot! 


Tuesday: Run at Bot Garden
It was 60 and pretty outside. I was going to run at the IM Fields, but I went to the botanical garden because I had a work errand to do there. My plan was to run the white trail to the orange trail, for a 4 mile loop. (I usually run orange to part of white and double back). Somehow I got turned around and ended up where I started. (This has happened to me before). So then I ran my regular route for a total of 4.4 miles. Slow miles. Those hills KILLED me. Maybe I should go walk the trail a few times so I know where to turn? I feel like the arrows point forward but mean go right. It's confusing.

Wednesday: Gymnastics
Gymnastics. I worked on handstand forward roll. My back handspring was a mess. Maybe I should move on to a different skill?


Trail run: longest run


Thursday: long run
The weather is getting colder—and isn't quite as springlike. It was on the cold side, but I decided to get one more outdoor run in before the weather went back to winter.

I drove over to the trails—and had to wait through three light cycle to turn into the parking lot because cars kept blocking the turn. It was so annoying. I honked a lot. But I finally got parked.

I prefer to run when it's 60 or above, but it was about 58 so I decided to try it. And if I died I'd go to the indoor track, which is across the street. (I've got asthma and the cold triggers my asthma attacks.)

I think I dressed right for the run: My usual crops (I hate leggings), a long sleeve run (brand new long sleeve swiftly from Lululemon), a neck warmer (to keep my airwaves warm), and a hat.

This Lululemon Swiftly long sleeve is the best!

The first mile was pretty cold. I almost quit. But it got better. I never got warm enough to shed the long sleeve, like I have on some runs. The shirt had thumbholes and went over most of my hands, which really helped. When I got warmer, I'd roll the sleeves up to my wrists, but I alternated with the shirt over and off my palms for most of the last half of the run.

That first mile I would have told you I was just trying to get three miles in. But then I decided to get five in. And then I wondered if I could do 6. I haven't done 6 yet. I've done 5.7, so I know I could.

I should add that I had this run going on both my Apple Watch and the Strava app on my phone. And at some point my Apple Watch dinged like I had completed a goal. Which it usually does when I'm done. I didn't think anything of it. And then I look down at my wrist to see how close to 6 miles I am. And the watch isn't even in workout mode. It turned itself off at 4.97. Ugh!  Thankfully I had the app going on my iPhone, (because the Strava app for Apple watch didn't want to work that day), but it was timing a segment, so it was showing 10 minutes and change, instead of my 40-50 minute running time. After some swiping I saw I was at 5.8 and I had some trail left. So I got to 6. And then doubled back to get .2 more miles in, so I can say I did a 10k. I stopped and took pictures of the sunset and ran the .2 mile back to the top of the trail for 6.47 total miles. (It's interesting that it shows as 6.47 in Strava, so it doesn't round.) But that's the longest I've been on. Wahoo! I could definitely do a 10k race. (Since I did 10 kilometers running trails and hills.)

So pretty proud of my run. Running my longest distance. I think I'm more proud of myself for running in the cold. (I abhor the cold). My iPhone later said the temperature was 55 degrees. I totally loved my new Lululemon shirt. 


Sunset runs mean seeing pretty light

Friday: pilates
Lunch pilates since I don't have time for 5:30 p.m. yoga.

Selfie fail: Selfie with a stray ear bud.
After running indoors Saturday

Saturday: Speed work at the track
It was back to January weather so I did some speed work at the indoor track. I love/hate speed work. I love running fast. But I hate it because it's hard. It's repetitive. I'm only running against myself. I didn't do speed work for months, because I'd rather run trails. But it's cold and I'm running on the indoor track, so I guess I will. I looked up the Hal Higdon 15k training plan. He suggested 4 x 800 repeats at 5k pace today.

Two miles seemed a little low to me, so I ended up doing 6 x 800s for a total of three miles and then three extra laps so my Apple Watch would finally register that I'd run 3 miles (it's off by a 1/10th. I know I need to recalibrate.) I pretty consistently ran 7:30 pace. Which I'm not usually that consistent.

Splits (which it adds about two seconds of lag every time I pause it. So if I stop on :34, it will start again at :36 or :37. Which is annoying.
3:45, 7:32, 11:17, 15:03, 19:01, 22:45. So #5 was my slow split. I was off by 15 seconds. So about 4 seconds a lap. (200 meter track). I'll take it. And It would be AWESOME to run 23 or under in a 5k. Maybe one day?

Also, I've pretty much had it with my Apple Watch. It doesn't track distances right (and I can't correct it), doesn't count calories right. I'm looking into getting a Garmin.



No comments:

Post a Comment