Monday, June 1, 2015

Joining the Pure Barre 100 club

We had sparkling grape juice for my 100. Thanks Rachelle! 

I've joined the Pure Barre 100 club. In a little over 5 months I took 100 Pure Barre classes.

In a large studio, it's nice to have the recognition and something to work towards. And free socks! I like that they do this. And I like the social media posts. It helps me learn the other regular's names.

And it's been a long journey.

Officially, I took 100 classes in a year and a week. I took my first Pure Barre class May 30 last year. It was free friend Friday. I met one of the instructors at the local trampoline gym. She invited me to try a class and was surprised when I actually showed up.

I liked my first Pure Barre class. It was challenging and well organized. But I wasn't sold, frankly because Pure Barre is expensive. And it's not as fun or adrenaline pumping as some of the other fitness classes I've tried.

I took another free class that fall. It was hard. And Pure Barre was filed away in my list of workouts to try when I get tired of my current gym/when my contract runs out.

And in December my gym closed to move to a bigger facility. Their lease ran out and there was some gap time. So I went to Pure Barre. (Also, it was one of the only fitnesses places open over Christmas break in my college town.) I took a class. Decided I'd give it a whirl and bought the one-month new client special.

At $100 for a month, it was the most I've ever paid for a gym membership.

I went to the classes. My metabolism reved up and I was hungry all the time. My calves were cramping. And finally my body got used to the new workout routine.

Did Pure Barre transform my body or make me lose weight? I'm not one of those people

Two years ago I started working out. I'd lose weight and gain muscle. Eventually, I dropped one pant size, settled at a few pounds less than my pre-workout weight and I've plataeued there. I'm happy with being an athletic size 4. Sure, I'd like to drop 10 pounds, but think I'd have to diet miserably for months to get there. I'm at a happy, healthy weight. I'm lean and toned, but was before I started going to Pure Barre.

But instead of workout out two hours a day, I only have to do 55 minutes at Pure Barre. I've tried to go crazy and run on Pure Barre days, but I don't think it's good for me.

I'm currently battling an overuse injury in my knee from trying to balance running, Pure Barre and everything else I want to do. My knee definitely limits what I can do.

I try to take 4 pure Barre classes a week, do two alternate workouts and take one day off.  I miss climbing ropes.

Will I join the 250 club? I'm not sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment