Saturday, June 6, 2015

Rush Fitness

A little over two years ago (two years and a week) I started my fitness journey with a fitness class at Aerofit. I was hooked.  So today I took one of the first Rush fitness classes. (Rush is the expanded version of Aerofit.)

Picture of Rush from their FB page
There were 6 people in the class, one of which was an employee, and three teachers.

The class started with some stretching, then it was in four parts.
1. Cardio on the trampoline.
2. Intervals on the ninja course
3. Handstands on the dodgeball course/ tricep dips/ pushups on the benches
4. Abs back on the trampolines where we started.

Cardio consisted of jumping high, jumping jacks, some of Alex's favorite bring your knees up and slap your knees. Each exercise was about two minutes each.This was good cardio. I got tired fast and babied my overused knee. (I wore a brace and numbed it with voltarin gel before class.) I would have preferred more variety of exercises for 60-90 second bursts. I get bored fast.

Then it was over to the ninja wall. The circuit was 10 pushups, climb across the rope net, wall sit, swim across the foam pit, lunge back to the starting point, and repeat four or so times. This was super tiring. People were complaining. (The day after and my shoulders and killing me for doing too many pushups.)

We did some tricep dips on the benches. Well the instructor and I did. Everyone else had that glazed look in their eyes. Then it was incline pushups for 2 minutes. (More pushups!) We did some handstands against the barriers on the dodgeball course. I got a few good holds. Then some bearwalks.

Then it was back over to the trampolines for abs. We started with buttdrops, did some scissors and popcorn jumps and that was it.

I stayed around and did some bounders and played on the trampolines into the foam pit for a bit and headed out right at 10 a.m.

Verdict: A relatively new class that I'll be interested to see how it's polished up in coming months. I love trampolines and want to incorporate them into my fitness routine. We'll see if this class—or open jump makes the cut.

Pros: I was tired afterward. The variety of the trampolines, the ninja course and the dodgeball course was nice. All of the exercises were very doable. No need for super skills. The instructors were right there with the tired participants.

Cons: There was lots of down time that could have been better used. It seemed a tad unorganized with all of direction changes. Also, I would have liked to use more of the ninja course. Can we run across the spinning log? Climb across the rock wall. Will you show me how to do the spiderman climb? Also, they didn't use the vertical trampolines. A cardio warmup of just running laps might have been more interesting than 5 minutes of jumping in place. There were also too many pushups. We did a few different kinds and it was too repetitive when we could have done different exercises and worked on different areas.

I didn't love the class. It didn't have that same magic Aerofit classes had, but I'll give it time, but honestly I probably won't be back for a while for the class. I think I could do a better workout on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment