Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Flying Trapeze: Yes, You Can!


When I ask friends if they want to do flying trapeze, they think they can't do it. They think it's hard.

I think there's actually a fairly simple list of skills you need. I love lists, so here's a list.

Things you need to be able to do flying trapeze

1) You need to be able to climb a ladder.
It's how to get up to the platform for the trapeze.
(And this is the scariest part, really.)


2. You need to be able to hold onto a bar. It's not heavy, but the bar is sturdy enough to hold your weight. So you need minimal upper body strength.



3. You need to be able to listen to and follow directions.
This is the most important part of flying trapeze. You need to listen for what the teachers tell you do. And then do it.

4. It helps if you're able to get your feet up to the bar (so be able to swing your legs under you up to your waist.)
Don't worry, there's a practice trapeze that's pretty low to ground that you can try new skills out on. If you've got good body consciousness and a decent core, you're golden. (You should be able to do a few crunches. I've seen a few out of shape people not be able to get their knees over.) You don't have to be super flexible. But flexibility helps. They can make modifications too.


Before I did flying trapeze, a few things helped with the skills for this.
1) Acro yoga. This was helpful for learning the grip for when you catch. (If you've got the grip, you're good. They'll teach this to you. Not hard!)
2) Stationary trapeze. I did a short course on stationary trapeze and I think this will be more helpful later on.
Pretty much I was a kid who liked to climb on things, and I'll play on rings and trapezes whenever I see them at climbing walls and gyms. I just like climbing on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment