Monday, April 27, 2015

What to wear: Flying trapeze

When I try a new sport or venture, I wonder what I should wear.

Twinning with Martha. Clearly you should wear a purple tank and black crops :) 

For flying trapeze, here's what you should wear:

1) Sunscreen.
Flying trapeze is outside. If your class is during the day, put SPF on before you leave the house.
(You don't want sunscreen to make the bar slick, so if you put it on at the facility, wash your hands immediately after.)
Also, you can't fly with sunglasses on. You can wear them while hanging out though.

2. Leggings or capris. 
The website asks you to wear pants that cover the back of your knees, so leggings or capris. The guys catch in the same tight pants as the girls ;)

If you're a dude, you could wear running leggings under shorts or just wear shorts.

3. A fitted top that won't fly up.
You're going to be upside-down. You don't want a super baggy T-shirt that's going to fly up over your head. A popular choice is a tank with a built-in bra.

You'll also be wearing a safety belt over your tank for the entire time. You want something that will tuck under this.

4. Keep your hair up.
And you'll want your hair up in a ponytail or braid, so it's not in your face.
My ponytail would actually was too long and kept swinging into my face (during catches.) Next time I need to remember to braid it or loop it so it's not as long.

What not to wear:
1) You don't fly in shoes.
You can fly in socks. Leave your shoes at the bottom of the ladder. You don't want a shoe flying off and hitting someone (especially your catcher.)
2) Jewelry. 
They're going to ask you to take off bracelets, watches, big rings etc. Leave those at home. Safety first.

I had my hair in a bun so it wouldn't whip me in the face. 

What I wore:
Athleta running tank and Lululemon Top speed crops. (Lulu's crossback tank has since been my go-to for trapeze.)

Also, you're going to get chalk all over you. I like to wear light colors—for night classes and for the chalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment