Sunday, December 30, 2018

10 things I learned running this year

2018 was a good running year for me. It was the second time I broke 1,000 miles (which I think I did in October actually.) I'm not sure it was a fast year, but maybe 2019 will be fast for me. But over that 1,300 miles, this is what I learned.



1) I can run a half marathon

Sometimes I drive the distance I run and I'm amazed my body can go that far. 2018 was the year I first dipped my toe into the half marathon distance—13.1 miles. First to see if I can do it, and then to see if I can go faster. I honestly don't know whether to count the trail half. It was such an awful experience. So maybe I'll count my two road half marathons. I went in with a goal of running under 2 hours going my easy pace. I felt so good I sped up. And I finished. Seawheeze in September was epic and I really want to run a faster half as soon as possible! My goal was under 1:50 and I ran 1:48. I'm hooked. A year ago I was skeptical of the distance, but it's such a confidence boost to know that I can do hard things—like run 13.1 miles.  (If I can run a half marathon surely I can get through a crappy day at work).

2) The importance of fueling 

I ran that first half marathon on NO BREAKFAST and no fuel other than water (SO STUPID. I was CRYING at mile 12.5 I was so hungry). Once I figured out eat before a half marathon (oatmeal and peanut butter 3 hours before) and to use gels, runs became a lot easier. I'm still figuring out what I like, but I'll do fuel during my long runs now. It makes long runs so much more pleasant.

At first I tried sports beans, but wasn't using enough. I had to read the labels and figure out how much to use per hour of running. I still can't shove done enough gel blocks for a half marathon, but even some sugar and caffeine makes a difference. Right now I can't do Nuun or UCANN because both have Stevia in them (which doesn't agree with me.) And I saw someone mixing gatorade with a  dirty broom handle at a race once, so I'll bring my own water, thanks.



3)  To wear a hydration pack on long runs

I started wearing a hydration pack this year. I wear it for long runs—because it's nice to be able to have water when you want it. I wore it on a long trail run without water fountains. I wear it on the summer rogue runs. There are water stops, but I like having more sips of water in the hot summer. I've run with a hand bottle a few times. At first I hated it, but for a tempo run, I don't notice it. I actually wore a hand bottle at Seawheeze. I didn't really mean to, but I wanted water for gels. I didn't mind it, and I'm glad I had it.  I haven't used the pack or hand bottle much since the summer—once I used the pack for a 10 mile long run around town.



4) That I can actually run in the morning

I did more morning runs before work this year. I made it to my first 5:30 a.m. track workout. And morning runs are doable. I actually prefer to have my run over and done with in the morning, mostly on weekends though. During the week—my habit is just evening runs. But those 5:30 a.m. track workouts were tough. And I'm glad I went. And actually I'm more productive in the mornings. My grandma body wants me to go to bed at 8:30 p.m. Maybe I need to listen?

5) Rogue runs are the best

I really loved going to Sunday 10-mile runs with my friends. I was the slowest. By far. I was walking the hills at the beginning. I was dead the rest of the day. But it toughened me up. And I loved chatting with my friends or listening to them chat. Or even having them pace me. I haven't been in awhile, but I miss it. I can't wait until it's warm enough for me to go back.


6) Volunteering is super fun

I volunteered at a lot of races this year: Twilight, Give Thanks, Ragnar, Free to Breathe. I loved every second of cheering the racers on. I never thought I'd be that person who volunteers on the weekend, but I love go to races. These are my people. I love the energy. I love seeing friends. I love it.

7) Massages can work miracles

I got a massage for tight calves this fall. it was amazing. I highly recommend a good sports massage. The masseuse worked the kinks out of the muscles. She helped the relax and get whatever toxins in them out. After I had a tight quad, I went to physical therapy twice (super expensive), when all I needed was a $35 massage. I should have done that first and saved myself some money. So if your legs are tight, or a muscle is tight—get a massage.



8) That running damages my hair

Specifically sweat, hats and ponytails have wreaked havoc on my hair this year. It's damaged and broken. I need to use a ton of leave-in conditioner on my hair. And LOTS of product in my hair when blow drying and even an overnight hair serum a few times a week has helped. My hair isn't 100% yet. It's still frizzy and crazy, but it's better.



9) Podcasts can be a great distraction

I'm super late to the Podcast game. I started downloading them this fall. I was tired of my Pandora station playing the same 5 songs over and and over. I downloaded a podcast and it wasn't what I expected. It was like a chatty friend talking to me the whole time. Only I didn't have to catch my breath to say anything. I'm not sure I loved it at first, but now I'm hooked. I'll even listen to Podcasts while cleaning. They're great. I've tried a few Podcasts. I like when athletes talk about running or their lives. I thought it would be more advice or one sided, but it's kind of cool to hear athletes talk about their compartment syndrome (like my husband had) or that they weren't an olympic level runner their first race (yeah, some were). They're great distractions. One Podcast I totally hated was this rich lady talking about her wackadoo yoga business. And she was just entitled, weird and out there. Next. I deleted that one with a vengeance.

10) Patience 

Patience was the lesson 2019 kept teaching me. I can run 14 miles—but it's easier with friends and a few breaks are okay. I can run 80 laps on an indoor track. It's not actually that bad.  Long runs teach you patience. Because you're doing the same thing for 2 hours or more. You just can't be impatient. You have to get through. And you shouldn't sprint your first mile. You can break the run up in chunks. For running on the track, I like to run 5 miles. Give myself a bathroom break and then run 5 more. It's a goal to work toward. Long runs are a life lesson just to keep going.

Bonus things I learned

• Not to skip yoga. I'll just get sore and hurt when I don't make the time.
• That I have a knack for picking rainy races (trail half, May half, Seawheeze, December 5k all in the rain).
• To pick running spots where you know where bathrooms are nearby (so important!)
• That I still need to work on some mental toughness (hello mile 3 of a 5k or second half of 10k)
• How to plan a race/ race direct. A new race. And survive.
• Epsom salts are miracle works. Great for sore legs.
• How CRAZY headwinds can be. Wow.
• How to actually foam roll. I took a class and it was mind blowing! I know how to do it correctly now.




No comments:

Post a Comment