Sunday, August 12, 2018

Workouts this week: Aug. 6-12

Aug. 6 OFF

Aug. 7
5 miles at the indoor track

Aug. 8
Morning speed workout
I knew during the first rep that this workout was going to be garbage. (I didn't want it to be, but it didn't feel good after the first 800. I had to work way too hard for a slow time.)
800s: 3:26, 3:21,
400s:1:36, 1:34, 1:35, 1:35, 1:35, 1:34,
200s: 43, 44, 40, 38 (The only time I got close to mile pace. I have no endurance.)

Aug. 9
More indoor track. My first decent run in forever. At 9 minute miles, I feel like I can run forever.
I did lose track of my laps at the track. My watch said 6.3 miles. I think it was just 6. But it was an enjoyable run. 55 minutes.

Indoor track overlooks the pool

Aug. 10
OFF. I did some core yoga in the evening.

Aug. 11: Long run struggle
Another awful long run. It was 100% humidity. I just decided to tough it out. I think I had to walk a few steps in the third mile. It was supposed to be a 12 mile run. I stopped every 3 miles for water, and took some caffeine a few times. After about 6 miles, I kept having to stop and catch my breath. Like every half mile. At mile 9, I stopped to wring out my socks. I wore thin Feetures socks but they still got really damp from sweat. Then my watch stopped. The second part of my run was worse. At one point I was stopping to walk a few steps every quarter mile. In mile 10 or 11 I really almost started crying. I was hungry and tired. I was melting. I decided to run walk to finish my run, no matter how slow.

This is the worst run I've had since Fort Yargo. I can't really explain why it was so bad. Accumulated fatigue? Humidity? Was it mental? My legs were really, really sore the rest of the day.

20 minutes recovery yoga, plus lots of rolling

Aug. 12
I knew I shouldn't run today. My achilles were sore. My legs were dead yesterday. But I just plain don't have time to do a speed workout on Monday (the first day of classes). So I headed to the track just to see. (And make my 30 miles a week goal).

I ran a warmup mile. My legs were fine. My shoulder felt funny so I stretched it some. On my striders, I had ZERO speed.

My workout for the day was either 5 800s or 10 400s. I haven't done any 800s in awhile, so I thought I'd try 800s.

Rep 1: 3:23. Super slow and it was REALLY, REALLY HARD.
Rep 2 3:27. It wasn't my legs. It was my breathing. I felt like I couldn't.
Rep 3: I ran 400 meters and quit. I could not breathe. And 1 more 400. 1:45 and 1:51. And this was so hard.

I did a mile cool down and didn't even bother about the other 800s. I couldn't.

I used to love track workouts. But I've been slower and slower lately. And I kind of hate them lately. Can I have a good speed workout?

(Actually this workout helped me figure it out. I cannot breathe. I have asthma. It's never bothered me in running for the last few years. But it's asthma. I'm wheezing. Time to get some new medication) 

Miles this week: 32
5 runs
3 yoga sessions

Wednesday's lunch. Chicken, kale, bean salad, gazpacho. 

No comments:

Post a Comment