Monday, October 30, 2017

Race Recap: Jack O Lantern Jog


I ran the Jack O Lantern jog at Sandy Creek Nature Center. The course is certified. It's flat and I've heard great things about it.

My goal in this race was to run a 22:30. But secretly I was hoping for low 22s, which I think I'm capable of.

I was really excited about this race. The weather was supposed to be great. Then my fast friend said he'd pace me. PERFECT.

Then the weather forecast changed and got really cold. I don't do cold. My asthmatic lungs don't work when it's cold. And I was dreading this.

Had I not had a friend pacing me, there's a good chance I would have just not shown up.

But I did. I took all my inhalers and dressed as warmly as I could (wool socks, crops, warmest long sleeve with a tank over it [I thought I would get too hot in this top. I didn't], and a sweat band.) I warmed up with track pants and a vest. I could have kept the vest on. I never really warmed up.

How the race went:

I started my watch at the start. It didn't start. So I had to start it again after I'd run a few seconds. Ugh.

Mid stride checking my watch. 

Mile 1: Felt good. 7:08
Mile 2: 7:12. Still going strong.
And then I completely bonked in mile 3. I was wheezing. I could hear this high pitched gasp at the end of my breaths. And I couldn't. My watch was showing 7:40 pace. I tried to change my breathing—nose breaths, deeper breaths. That didn't help.

It wasn't my legs or my energy. I just couldn't breathe. I was dying. I yelled to my pacer as much and he slowed down.

I kept telling myself I could finish one more mile, and then a half mile and then I was just looking for the finish line. I did sprint to it.

I thought my time was 22:31. That's what I saw when I crossed the line. But officially it was 22:33.

Which was my goal time.

And I should be happy to be chipping away at that PR 5k time. 11 seconds since September is awesome.

But I'm so disappointed running a 7:40 third mile. Those aren't good splits. I should have been at least 20 seconds faster.

I finished second place woman and 10th overall for a small race.

Me and my awesome pacer Mike. THANK YOU. 

I ran my cool down and my breathing normalized since I wasn't racing.

And I want to be positive. I did the very best I could. I ran in the coldest weather I've ever run in (46 degrees with 22 mph winds). My lungs wouldn't have done that a year ago. And my lungs gave me a good two miles in the cold. I just need to work on my endurance. (Good news: legs are fine.)

But overall I'm just disappointed in myself. The course was great. I'd run a race out there again. But I think my next race will have to be when it's warmer. I've marked noon and afternoon races—and might do a day-of sign-up if there's good weather. Hopefully I can find a race in the high 50s or 60s.

**The owner of the running store told me good job. And that actually does make me feel better of the race. I will try to be positive. (I DID THE BEST RACE I COULD.)




No comments:

Post a Comment