Sunday, September 24, 2017

Workouts this week: The week that wasn't

Sept. 18-24

Monday: Off day
Worked out six days in a row so took Monday off. Went home after work and took a nap.

Tuesday: Speed workout
Today was the return of the 20 minute workout. One minute hard, one minute off. Which I can run all day with breaks. But this workout is just so hard.

I had to work late today. Fun. I went to the track and walked two laps, then ran two laps as a warmup, and stretched.

Then the workout was 2 800s and a slower pace. So 10k pace or 5k pace + 20 seconds. And when I tried to do that I was SOOOOO much behind everyone else. (Three girls today. Sally is fast. Leila is fast and apparently ran in college.) So I ran a little faster than I should have but was still about 100 meters behind everyone else. (PLEASE more people come to these workouts)

Warmup: 4:07 (8:16 pace)
800: 3:39 (7:20 pace, which is around my 5k pace)
800: 3:35 ( My Garmin went crazy during this lap. Yay. )

20 minutes of 1 minute hard, and 1 minute off. The direction was 400 meter pacing. Which I didn't think I did when I first saw the numbers, but actually did.  But I ran hard enough. And I wanted to WALK during the off portion (which was the direction in the email, but all the fast people were jogging. I jogged only because the fast people were, and walked the last 4 or so. And of course I lost track around 7 or 8).

So I had 10 hard bursts: My pace was between 6:04 a mile to 6:34 pace (which is actually closer to 400 pace than I originally thought). And it WASN'T as bad as it was the first time I did this workout (and my splits were faster than my late May workout). It was hard though.

My goal was to run 1/2 mile as a cool down, but I ran three laps instead to get my Garmin to an even 4 miles.

Garmin fail:
I had tried to set the workout on my Garmin. BUT I didn't do it quite right. (Learned something). I loaded the workout in, and it was beeping and telling me my pace, BUT I had set a repeat for the 1 minute intervals, but I set it wrong and it wanted me to repeat the whole workout warmup and all (instead of just the interval). So it recorded the second 800 wrong, and then told me to do an 800 warmup again. But thankfully, it was still in run mode and I was pressing the lap button for my splits so starting at split 7 things are correct. I'll try this feature again next time and hopefully it will work better. Still learning.




Wednesday: recovery miles
I was so tired today. I went home and took a nap before my run and didn't really want to run. It was also really hot out. 90. I dragged my feet long enough to run at 7 when it was only 88. I had written 5 miles down on my workout calendar. I was so empty I thought I could do three. I got to the 2-mile mark and decided I'd do 4 miles, a happy medium. Then I decided I wanted to run some of my cool down barefoot in the grass. But the field I wanted to run in had a women's flag football game, and the next two fields also had games going on. I finally found an empty field at mile 3.98. So I decided to do a lap and do 4.25. 4.25 became 4.5, and I wanted to do another loop, and then at that point I just decided to make an even 4 miles. My pace picked up a ton when I ran in the grass (it was flat, so a minute per mile faster.) And then I stayed up late watching TV.


Thursday through Sunday: sick
No workouts for me. I was sick. It started Thursday morning when I felt dizzy. I went to work anyway. Went home at lunch time and slept for three hours. On Friday my throat was sore. Saturday and Sunday I didn't have the energy to make myself food. So no running when you can't breathe.



And that was it. I worked out Tuesday and Wednesday and then stayed in bed for the rest of the week. So sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment