Sunday, September 17, 2017

Workouts this week: Sept. 11-17

Monday: Off
Today Hurricane Irma (or tropical storm) rolled into town. It rained all day. There were furious wind gusts all day.

It wasn't a day to run or leave the house.

It was a good day to take off. Maybe the first tropical storm I've weathered in Athens—3.5 hours from the east coast and 12+ hours away from South Florida where the hurricane initially hit. (I weathered one at Tybee in 2005).

Tuesday: speedwork



I had the day off work (because of the storm) so I napped all day. Then I did speed work.

There was no group workout (I'm blaming the storm), so Matt and I headed to the track to make up our own workout.

I suggested a ladder. I like going down the ladder and getting faster. Matt wanted to do a longer workout and go up and down. So we did a variation on a ladder workout we've done before. (It was hard. I'm hoping it was effective.) What we eventually compromised on (and this is why we're not track coaches) is 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800.

I walked two laps. And did a half mile warm up (too fast). 3:44. (That was extra energy for being cooped up all day)

800: 3:30 (7 minute pace)
1200: 5:27 (7:19 pace)
1600: 7:14 (calf cramped up on this one, but ran through it and was fine. This felt harder than I'd like)
1200: 5:26 (7:17 pace)
800: 3:23 (6:42 pace). And I cranked it up with 200 meters to go, and went all out for the last 100 meters. Had an epic footrace with Matt. It was pretty close. I think he won by a foot or less. He can sprint. (Garmin says best pace: 3:25)

Then I did  half mile cool down and walked another lap and went home. Sore legs.

This was a hard workout. (Also, it was 63 degrees when I started. Felt chilly so I did my warm up in a long sleeve. Did the workout in short sleeves, was super hot during the workout and then was FREEZING as soon as I finished, so I put the long sleeve back on).

Wednesday: 5 easy miles
Logging miles today. I didn't have to be at work until 10 a.m., so I used my extra time to run before work. (I really like starting the day with a morning run.)

It was 59 when I started, and I was cold. I ran in a long sleeve and shed it at the halfway.

Here are some pictures of the storm damage. Not too bad and it was mostly cleaned up that day (it helped that the trail is wide enough for trucks to drive on and bring in equipment.)









Thursday: 6 miles
Another easy run to log miles. I didn't really want to run today. I put it off and off but did eventually run and got my run in right before sunset.

Friday: Yoga
No running for me today. I went to yoga.

Saturday: 10-miler
I feel like this deserves it's own post. But I ran 10 miles. It wasn't that bad. I did it. It wasn't the scary thing I made it out to be.

Sunday: Yoga
I had debated doing some tempo miles today, but didn't have time to. Did go to yoga.

Workouts this week: 5 runs, 2 yoga classes
Miles this week: 26

1 comment: