Saturday, March 4, 2017

Workouts this week: 2-26

Sunday: Bodypump + Yoga
I was so tired from my speed work yesterday but went to class today (even though I wanted a nap). I kept my weight pretty low (my last semester weight) and even lowered my weight for lunges and still died! I increased weight for shoulders since it was the end of class. It always kills me. But maybe a class with low weight is better than napping on the couch.

My quads were super sore from the run yesterday so I went to the back weight room in search of a foam roller or something. I found this plate machine a teacher told me about last year. It works like a foam roller, you sit or lie on it according to what's sore and it vibrates and massages your muscles. I did 60 seconds on it and my quads did feel a lot better. Hooray! Maybe my favorite new machine.

I went to yoga. The classroom was COLD. I kept my long sleeve shirt on the entire time. I also went straight to downward dog almost every time and skipped the pushups. I didn't have it in me.

Monday: OFF
I went home and made tacos. I ran out of black beans! so I tried to make some in the instant pot (I had dried beans). It took about 40 minutes, but by then I was too hungry so I ate kidney beans. Then I had a huge vat of black beans. So first adventure in the instant pot. The lid is hard to take on and off. I wasn't impressed. Thinking the Instant Pot was a waste of $100.


Tuesday: Long run
The goal was to run 7 miles. I've got a 6.5 mile race coming up and the training calls for up to 8 mile runs. It makes sense to be able to do a longer distance. 7 miles was on the docket this week, so I at least wanted to get a 10k in tonight. The weather was good and I felt good after two days off running. I felt strong running. Normal time. About 8.5 minute miles. But it was all uphills tonight. I didn't get the usual downhills. I didn't walk a single step until after mile 5 when I died. I walked for about a minute up a steep hill and then ran some more. I wanted to get 7 in so I was nearing the end at 6.75 so I added some length and ended up finishing at 7.2. Starve said 7.4. That is my longest run to date. I ran for 63 minutes. And felt good afterwards.

I did have a blood blister on the bottom of my right foot and a blister on one of my left toes. But that's normal. I always have 2-3 blisters and usually 9 toenails (I've got a black one now.) I wear the expensive Balega socks and $100 Asics. So it's just my feet. I used to blister a lot in high school too. So does my sister. It just shows I'm tough. I kinda like my calluses and have no intention of smoothing out my feet. I earned my battle scars.



Wednesday: Gymnastics
It was a smaller gymnastics class today. I played on bars. I learned a new track. I think it was called a basket swing. You hook your knee and swing yourself up over the bar. And repeat. I got this on maybe my third try. And felt like maybe I'm good at bars. I got my handstand forward roll by myself.

I also tried to remember how to do an assisted kip with my feet in the band. I didn't remember how to do it though. So I put my feet in the band and flipped around the bar and scared the coach to death. Thankfully I held on so I didn't fall on my head. Oops.

Thursday: Off
I was supposed to run today. It was cold. I was tired. I had to work late. It didn't happen. I did a little bit of stationary bike, but still felt guilty. I think I needed the day off.

Friday: Trail 5k
We ran the 5k trail race route again. It's a hard course. I had to walk on one hill. I ran 8:42s. Which is 12 seconds a mile faster than last time. So I'll take it. (I would have liked to run more miles but Matt had somewhere to be.)

Saturday: Speed work
I did some speed work at the indoor track. It was pretty cold today. And I need to get some speed work in. I tried to run 3 miles at race pace (or 8 minute miles), I ran 23:19. Which is awesome. (I run faster indoors than on hills). Then I needed to get to 15 miles this week so I ran 3 800s at 8 minute mile pace. And that was it.

There was a giant gymnastics meet at the gym today. So I got to watch gymnasts while running my laps. That was fun. They were all so cute and happy. (This means there were lots of kids and parents on the track. Sigh)




Totals:
Three days running. 15 miles
BodyPump
Yoga
Gymnastics
Two days off



No comments:

Post a Comment