Saturday, February 18, 2017

Workouts this week: Feb. 12

Sunday: Yoga
After my epically difficult trail run I made Sunday a recovery day. I skipped weight lifting and just went to yoga.

Bill was our sub. I hadn't had him before. He taught a good class with some poses I hadn't done before. (I'm blanking on the names a day later.) I like learning new poses. Vinyasa is always such a fast class. Always moving. I know this but wouldn't have minded a slower class. Just a little more time between poses.

Monday: Trail run



The weather was gorgeous today:. 67 and sunny. My goal was to try that Strava segment and see if I could best the time (okay, see if I could finally get credit for the segment). I felt great today (weather!) and bested the women's course record by 21 seconds. I ran 2 miles in 15:42, which I'm quite pleased with. That's a really hilly two miles—including the horrible 1/2 mile in the middle of the course. (I'd like to run sub 15 for two, but that's probably going to be on the track or a flat surface.) I was pretty pleased with that two miles, but it was too pretty to quit so I took a 20 second break, and ran again. After 4 miles I felt like I should run more, so I kept going and ran 5.78. Which I thought my legs would be too dead for after Saturday, but I felt good. I felt strong. Yay.
Although as soon as I finished the sun set, it got dark and cooled off quickly so I was sweaty and that made me really cold. Brr.

Strava vs. Apple watch
Strava: 5.78 miles run, 8:33 average pace, 774 calories burned, splits: 7:59, 7:46, 8:58, 8:43, 9:07, 8:54
Apple Watch: 5.6 miles run, 8:46 average pace, 504 calories burned, splits: 8:09, 7:52, 9:09, 9:02, 9:33, 9:03

Tuesday: OFF

Wednesday: Gymnastics
Worked on pullovers on the bar. So hard! Also bruised my hip bones.

Thursday: Run
It was cold so I did speed work inside. I dread doing speed work. I like going fast. And it's not THAT hard since I can take a lot of breaks. I just dread speed workouts. And would rather run timed miles than 800s. 800s are the worst. Only one near collision today. Some guy tried to duck inside while I was already inside, and quite tired and braindead. We didn't collide, but he scared me.

Ran consistent 3:40s.

Friday: Yoga
I like my Friday end of the workweek yoga ritual.

Saturday: Slow, awful run
I was going to run Saturday. But then it was cold and rainy all day. I gave up on running and ate two bowls of soup. As soon as I did this the sun appeared and the weather turned gorgeous. Argh. I haven't missed a Saturday run in awhile, so.....I tried.

And running an hour after eating two bowls of soup isn't the best idea.

Also, I don't run well in this temperature. I am super sensitive to the cold—being cold makes me feel like I have the flu. I'm not anemic, just really sensitive. And 56 degrees is too cold for me to be comfortable running. I ran. But it was a hard run. And everything hurt. My muscles weren't warm enough. My feet and ankles felt funny for the first three miles. My calves were tight most of the run. My hip and knee started hurting at the end of the run. And I did stretch.

I wore insulated tights (and was never too hot). I wore a short sleeve shirt and a cheap Old Navy long sleeve. (The sleeves were slightly too short, which is ridiculous because I'm short). The sleeves were uncomfortable for the whole run. I finally tied the shirt around my waist after mile 2. I wore a neck warmer and a headband. I didn't do a hat, because sometimes the sweat gets trapped in the hat and makes my head cold.

It was a crappy, crappy run. Maybe better than nothing? It stinks that I can't run in this temperature. Isn't this the temperature marathoners prefer?



No comments:

Post a Comment