Sunday, January 17, 2016

Things I've learned running in the last year

Today is my one-year anniversary. Kind of. We were on a break for 13 years. (I ran in high school and haven't run consistently since.)

Me running back in 2000. Totally won this race.
Ran this 5k in 20 minutes and change.

I think I decided to go running last January because I couldn't get into a Saturday Pure Barre class. I figured I'd burn my calories running. So I bought a membership to the university gym. $15 a month (total deal!). And to make that $15 a month work for me I decided I should run on their indoor track at least once a week for the next year.

Only, I liked running so once a week became twice a week.

And then I took some of the summer off for IT band issues. I tried to increase my mileage too fast. The time off and stretching helped and in the fall I started running three times a week. I'm not a daily runner. I like mixing up my routine with different workouts. For now, running three times a week makes me happy and healthy.



Running has also slimmed me down like nothing else. I'm the skinniest I've been in five+ years. Skinner than when I was working out two hours a day. Skinnier than when I was doing barre five times a week.

So here's what I might have told that girl struggling not to walk a year ago:

Before my wireless headphones.

1. Run with music. It's so much more awesome.
I started running before iPods existed. (I think I had a diskman in high school. You couldn't run with those!) Then, I saw the runners with their earbuds and brushed it off as youngsters being young. Then I started seeing studies about how exercising with music makes a difference in performance. I tried running with my iPod and then my iPhone and haven't looked back. It DOES make a difference. Running is such a mental sport. And with the music on, I just run. I'm not fretting as much over splits and other people. It keeps ME out of my head, which is much needed. It also gives you a beat to run to. At first, I tried iPod playlists. There's not enough free memory on my iPhone to keep playlists on it, so I do a workout station on Pandora and that's worked for me.

Gym bag essentials. 

2. Take your inhaler before you run
I have asthma but I like to use my inhaler as sparingly as possible. I noticed that when I took my inhaler before my run, I felt better. (I tried the inhaler after a few runs where I felt like I couldn't breathe.) My doctor approved this use for me. And now it's standard to take one puff, not two, about 15 minutes before my run. Open lungs = better runs.

Heat rash.

3. Wash your face after you run
My skin changed this year—and my face started breaking out after sweat sessions. My back too. (Gross.) So I always wash my face and try to wash my shoulders, where my sports bra sits, if I don't take a shower immediately afterwards.


Gym bags that double as luggage ;) 

4. Keep a spare pair of underwear in your gym bag
Occasionally I'll go running on my lunch break. I keep gym clothes with me. The one thing you don't want to forget is undies. Because you definitely don't want to go around the rest of the day in sweaty undies. So gross. (It's not hygenic and sure to give you a yeast infection). So if you ever ride in my car and eyeball and extra pair of hipsters—it's probably from gym bag.

Sweaty sports bra. It has three pockets.

5. Invest in clothes with pockets 
Crops and sports bras with pockets are awesome for stashing keys and iPhones when running. (I've tried two tops with low back pockets that might be good for gels but are awful for phones while running.) I prefer the pockets higher up on the leg or hip to keep from hitting you. I prefer this to arm bands or God forbid carrying your phone while you run. (Don't buy crops that don't have pockets!)

Favorite Lulu crops, sports bra and UA tank.

6. Lululemon Love
My favorite thing to run in is Lululemon. They make the best crops I've found. Favorites: Run Top Speed crop, Run Inspire, Kris Kross Crop and Stash it crop. Their crops have pockets. They're also made with wicking fabric that feels slick and sporty when you put it on. These crops hold everything while making your butt look great. For tanks, I'm not as picky. Lulu makes good ones, so does Under Armour (the tops with vents and mesh backs are my favorite.) Don't waste your money on Fabletics and other brands. You won't like them as much.

Run socks. Fun colors.
7. Wear fancy running socks
I started buying running socks to run in—instead of my 14 year old gold toe socks. These socks are padded for runs, sweat wicking and stay up in your shoe (there's nothing worse than a droopy sock halfway in your shoe screwing up the middle of your trail run.) I have socks from Lululemon, Asics and a few other brands. Guess which are my favorite. (Hint: the Asics haven't held up and I need to toss them.)



8. Don't run in shorts when you're already sweaty
Honestly I prefer to run in capris. The few times I've run in shorts I've chafed my thighs. Once I did a 30 minute body shred class and got sweaty. I decided to run two miles after that. Mistake. I was wearing shorts and my thighs chafed. So I should just run in capris from now on. Maybe save the shorts for body shred or sweaty indoor classes.


9. What times to run at the track 
I've never tried going to Ramsey at 6 a.m., but so far my favorite times to run are
• 9 a.m. Saturday when they first open. No one is there.
• Noon Sunday when they first open. No one is there.
• Lunch breaks are less crowded than after work.



The outdoor track is closed to the public from 2-6 p.m. on weekdays during the school year.

Post workout stretch and snack.

10. When I run best.
I've had my best times running at lunch. Never first thing in the morning. Occasionally at 5:30 p.m. I think this is because I need food in me to do better. If I'm running first thing in the morning, I probably haven't had that much to eat. I like to eat after a run. Not before. But I do better at lunch because I'm fed but before my body is tired from the day.



11. Flying solo
I prefer running by myself. I go running occasionally with my husband. I always obsess over if I'm faster or if he's faster. It's not good. So I'll usually do a different workout than him. Sure, I'd love a running partner so I could get faster. But I think I need the right running partner.


12. Faster than the boys
The indoor track seems to be mostly walkers, slow runners (11-minute miles) and people that sprint a lap before working out. So at the track, I'm usually one of the faster ones. I'm faster than a lot of the boys. (Seriously, lapping boys who think they're fast is awesome.) I don't consider myself fast at my current pace, but I guess I'm not doing bad.



13. How to count laps
I hated running the 3200 meter in high school. I couldn't keep up with my 8 laps. Running took all my attention. When I run at the indoor track, 8 laps equal one mile, so 24 laps equal 3 miles or 32 laps equal four. That's a lot of laps to remember. I try to start running when the overhead clock is on 0, so then if I run 8 minute mile pace the time on the clock should be about equal to what lap I'm on. The same goes for the timer on my watch. So if my timer says 12:56 when I finish a lap, I've just finished 13 laps. And I try to say the lap over in my head. I get confused when I start thinking 3 to go, etc. I'm still not great at counting laps, but knowing what my time should be helps.


Blurry because I took this while running. See how
 little room I have to pass these ladies.  They were clueless. 

14. Obstacle Course Navigation
Running at the indoor track can be like running an obstacle course race. Some days there are swimming moms walking five wide at the track only for sorority girls to be blocking the outside lanes. The track can be pretty busy—and a lot of the people have no idea about track etiquette. It can be hard to pass a group. In January, it's especially bad. I'll give them until February and then I start elbowing.
If you go to an indoor track, read the rules. The rules at this track are to walk and run single file. Walkers on the inside and runners on the outside. So don't walk five wide. It's hard to pass you. Harder still, when you're oblivious of other people. So be aware of your surroundings.

15. Other people's ticks
I watch other people a lot at the track. I see people that run too heavy, people that lean to one side when running, people that hunch when running, people that are exerting too much effort. The other day I saw I guy that ran pigeon toed. His legs swung out instead of forward.  I've seen a guy sprinter in loafers. I want to say something, but I'm not a running coach. It would be rude to say something so I keep my mouth shut. I just think as loud as I can "Bless your heart."



16. The importance of stretching 
I do like to stretch but I'm always in a huge hurry to get my run in. If I go to run on Saturday, it usually takes me 90 minutes. A few minutes to walk into and get into the gym, to warmup stretch, run for 30 minutes, stretch and recover, maybe wash my face. If I take a shower definitely 90 minutes. When I'm in a hurry I tend to cut corners. And it's easy to cheat and not stretch. This is a great way to be tight the next day or get an injury. I missed six weeks of running from an IT band injury. Now I make sure to stretch my IT band, calves, hamstrings, achilles, back and more before and after I stretch. I will on occasion just run—but make sure to take extra time to stretch afterwards. Skipping stretching doesn't work for me.

The trail by the river at the botanical garden.

17. Running outside
I definitely prefer running trails to running 30 or so times around a track. I tried trails at the IM fields and trails at the Botanical Garden. I'm not tough enough for the White Trail hills, but that's something to work towards. I tend to send a minute goal—say run 32 minutes at the IM fields since I don't know the exact distance. I am slower on uneven surfaces, but it's more fun. I always keep my phone on me while running trails—and usually run into someone I know at the Botanical Garden. I colleague suggested I run with one earbud out while running  trails. I did have a mountain biker sneak up on me once and scare the bejeezus out of me. I like running the IM fields because I like seeing the happy dogs. And I like running the river by the Botanical Garden. I can't wait until it's warm enough to run more trails.


50 degrees and I'm bundled up like I'm racing in the Iditarod. #Southerngirlproblems

18. Temperature threshold
Cold triggers my asthma, so I don't run outside when it's cold. I feel awful afterwards. When I have access to an indoor track and treadmills, I simply don't need to get sick to get my miles in. I prefer running outside when it's 60+ degrees outside. I won't run outside if it's colder than 60, and even lower 60s I have to be careful. It's not a matter of being tough—it's what works for and keeps me feeling good.



19. How to use the treadmill (mostly) 
I have very little experience with a treadmill. I think the only time I've ever used it is when I was in physical therapy two years ago. I got to use the treadmill more this year and have it mostly figured out how to use it. I can turn it on, off, increase, decrease the speed, pick a workout, turn the TV on and more. I still have more to learn, but I will look less silly using the treadmill in the future.



20. Kind bars
Kind bars are my new favorite. I keep them in my gym bag for after a run. So I can get protein quickly fast. They're kinda high in calories (180) so are a heaver snack than say a banana. They're just awesome to have around and are filled with good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment