Thursday, January 28, 2016

Nerdy Girl's Guide to VPL: Visible Panty Lines

So many women make such a big deal about Visible Panty Lines.

I have better things to worry about. My next fitness class. If I have clean socks. If the dog is up to date on his vaccines. If I paid the water bill.

Sure, I don't want to see the entire outline of your panties, down to where the cotton gusset starts when I'm behind you at barre*. If I can see a shadow of an outline—I don't care.

Good for you for wearing underwear! (*this has happened. The see-through lavender leggings weren't helping this new mom. Dark leggings are always my recommendation.)

I'd rather see that than your hot pink thong. (And I see way too many of those at barre.)

Thongs are the devil. They were really popular when I was in high school. In college, I tried to be sexy and tried thongs. I thought they were the worst thing ever. They are uncomfortable and don't support you. They increase your risk of urinary tract infections and yeast infections. 

Even doctors think thongs are a bad idea.

Ladies, most of you don't need to wear pants so tight that you can see your underwear. Some fabric does show panty lines. Wear a long tank if it bothers you. Try out seamless underwear if you want.

And yes, wear the right underwear.

“Cotton undergarments are the best due to their breathability,” explains Melissa Goist, MD, an ob/gyn at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. “Synthetic fabrics tend to hold onto moisture, possibly causing skin irritation.”

Though cotton is likely your gyno’s first choice in fabric, it sometimes lays lumpy and bumpy under your clothes. But fear not, there are close runner-ups. “Panties made of things like polyester, nylon, Lycra or Spandex sometimes have more stretch and lay nicer under clothing and still come with that cotton crotch,” adds Melissa Piliang, MD, a dermatologist at the Cleveland Clinic.

—From Health.com

But basically, no one cares about your panty lines other than you. Spend your time and money on something else. Maybe pants that aren't see through, or are quality enough that this won't be an issue.

You still shouldn't wear red panties under a white skirt, but if you're wearing reasonable underwear under reasonable clothes I just don't see what the problem is.

If you're that incensed that someone is wearing cotton Victoria Secret hipsters under her lulu, then look away.

WOMEN SHOULDN'T BE JUDGING OTHER WOMEN on whether or not they can see panty lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment