Sunday, July 12, 2015

Flying Trapeze: Pullover shoot

Where Sara is told to "THROW IT DOWN"

Pretty sunset at class.
Another night of Flying Trapeze. I was super excited all day, looking forward to going to my happy place. I got to trapeze insanely early. I was that excited.

Tonight class was me, a medical student, a gymnastics coach and a family of four first-timers—a young mom, her cousin and two nieces or cousins.

It was my second night of working on a pullover shoot, which I kept forgetting the name to and was calling a popover. The instructors seemed to understand what trick I was referring to, so close enough!

Last class my trick did not go well. I wouldn't let go of the bar so my goal for the night was to let go of the bar. !! I'm afraid that heavy bar would slam into my legs and bruise me. (They assured me it wouldn't.) So to prepare, I watched the video of the trick a dozen times. It looks like I can do this. Will my brain let me?

First go round, I didn't let go of the bar. I rushed my pullover—way too fast. I can slow it way down and it will actually be better for the trick to not sit on the bar waiting forever for the call.

Second time up, I almost let go of the bar. I let it go for two inches and then got scared so I regrabbed it. ! (They did tell me I have an excellent pullover. I didn't tell them I practiced on a pullup bar for an hour this week. Let them think I'm a natural ;)

My third time up, I let go of the bar. I didn't pump shoot so I totally belly flopped, nose-dived and went straight into the net. But I let go. Which is a step in the right direction. I did more of the same the next time up. I put my hands forward too fast for a catch and need to worry more about going up. I also needed to pump my arms and legs and throw the bar down more.

"Throw it down," Kaz said.  Quote of the night.

I got a good lesson in NOT locking my arms out and throwing the bar down with open hands. Kaz is such a good, positive instructor.

Then it was time for catches. The coach was working on a front somersault catch. She is amazing to watch. The medical student worked on her swing most of the time and then worked on catching a cutaway (which is very similar to a layout and gorgeous and fun to watch). I love coming to leap to watch the tricks the others do.



The four first-timers were working on knee hang. I wanted so much for them to catch the trick. It's such a great feeling to get that catch. Two of them caught it. I was happy. We all cheered for them. The other two said they had fun and need to come back to get it. Getting your feet over is hard. And I was really happy everyone at my birthday party caught their trick. I have awesome friends. :)

I didn't think I'd catch the pullover shoot. I asked Kaz if he wanted me to try catching something else. He said no. So I was going to work on the trick. At worst, two more practice attempts at pullover shoot. I could use the practice.

First time up, I totally belly flopped off the bar and touched fingers with the catcher. Progress! Second and final time up, I pushed down better (still could throw harder)  and touched a hand with the catcher. I told Kaz, the instructor, I felt like two or three more tries and I'd have the trick. The class had one fewer student than normal, so he said if the catcher had it in him, I could possibly go again. I kept my safety belt on.

Everyone finished their tricks, and the medical student got a third try at catching her cutaway. They touched hands. It was so close. But she didn't catch it. I have a video of her super-close-almost-catch and Kaz screaming "Noooooo" when she missed was the funniest thing. He wanted her to get it sooo much.





I was taking my belt off thinking I wouldn't get a bonus turn, when Kaz asked if I was going. Yes, yes I want to try it again! So I had one of the ladies help me put my belt back on and scrambled up the ladder. I didn't think I'd catch it, but if I could throw the bar down harder I could be that much closer to catching it next time.

And I caught it!!!!

I screamed with a dork. I was so excited.




It was a totally off-balance catch. Rhuben caught my hands, not my wrists and I slipped out early. But it was a catch. He held me for a few seconds before I fell onto the net. I think he almost took my pinky nail with him he was trying to hold on so hard. I was worried I hurt him. We both assured each other we were fine.

I watched the video, and you can see my legs pump shoot. So much better than last time. My pullover is more controlled. I threw the bar down some. Yes, I could clean the trick up some and it needs work. But I feel like once you get a trick, then you work to clean it up. It doesn't have to be perfect the first time.

So I was high as a kite for 90 minutes after the catch. And I do really like the trick. I like pulling over the bar.

This is why Leap is my happy place. It's a great feeling to master a new trick—that adrenaline is amazing. It's cool to watch the video and see what your'e capable of. The people are so nice, positive and encouraging.

Can I get a flying trapeze in my backyard because I'm obsessed?

I really want some glow in the dark tights for my next class. Anyone know where I can buy some?

No comments:

Post a Comment