Friday, June 27, 2014

Going to the gym by yourself



The first time you go to the gym, you might want a friend to go with you. Moral support. Someone to try you to the emergency room etc. That said, don't be afraid to go to the gym by yourself. You might see a friend there. You might make a friend. Just don't miss out on the opportunity to go to the gym because you can't persuade someone to with you.

The reason I started going to my local gym was because my neighbor invited me. We were both saying:"I will, if you will" about going to a trampoline gym. So she picked me up. We went. The teacher was a cute guy. There were a handful of other girls (also new-ish we would later learn) and a dad and his son. We jumped. We survived.

That was a Saturday. I felt like I had six-pack abs for the rest of the weekend. On Monday, I decided to go again and get a membership. My neighbor couldn't come with me. I couldn't talk anyone else in to going that night, but I sure wanted to go. 't I decided to just go by myself (which was a little braver than I normally am.)

I went—and another cuter guy taught the class. It was better than the first class. For partner work, a cheerful, enthusiastic blonde came over and introduced herself. She was so nice. I felt like I belonged. (Sure, she needed a partner too, but I felt like she picked me.)

And I kept going, by myself. I made friends. 

I made friends with the other only independent gym-goers. Heck, even with the girls that came with friends. And as curmudgeony as I am, I liked almost all of them. 

So be an independent woman. Go to the gym by yourself. You'll give off this confident, busy aura of a girl who knows what she wants and has her act together. 

And as a bonus, you can leave when you want. You can stay and chat up the cute instructor or hightail it out of there as fast as you want. And no one will judge you, if you stop and get an icee on the way home.

Caveat: There are some sports when it's better to with a friend. Indoor rock climbing for example. It's probably good to have someone to belay you. If you can get a friend to go, great! You'll have so much fun. But don't feel like it's a requirement. 

Dudes. Totally fine going solo to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment