Friday, August 19, 2016

Ramsey Free Week Recap



It's free week at my university's student gym. That means any gym member can take any class they want for free. The only caveat is you have to get a space in the class—meaning there has to be enough space or equipment for you. Some of the classes have lines to get in. So it's always good to get there early to ensure you have spot. These classes are way busier than later on in the semester. Most of the classes are PACKED. They try not to turn people away. They try to squeeze as many people in as possible. So that might mean the late comers have to share equipment. Or for some classes they'll cut the line off. Usually if you're there 10 minutes earlier you'll be fine. It's also a tryout phase—meaning there will be lots of newbies in the class so you don't have to worry about not knowing the workout. Probably half the class won't know the workout so you won't stick out.

Day 1: TRX Yoga
I miss TRX and I liked yoga so I decided to try this class. I got there good and early and got equipment. This class had spots for 23. A few girls came in about 10 minutes late and there wasn't equipment for them.

The first half of the class was yoga. We started out with breathing and mindfulness and moved on to downward dog and other poses. So an average yoga class.

The second half of the class was TRX. It was yoga on TRX so you got a better stretch. We did Y holds and T holds. We did floor work with hamstrings, glute bridges, planks and pikes (so hard! I used to be better at these!). By the end only a few people were left. I was trying to #beastmode through it, but I couldn't do as many pikes as I used to.

Overall, I LOVED the class. It was such an amazing stretch for my shoulders. Because of the TRX you can really stretch deeper than you would when pushing against the floor. (I'm pretty flexible so this was exactly what I needed.)I felt really good leaving the class. Like I'd just had a massage or a chiropractic adjustment. I went in with an achey back and left feeling awesome.

Overseen in this class: International student working out in jean shorts.

Day 2: Yoga
I did Friday yoga and this class was packed. They probably packed 40 people into the tiny studio. I don't think they had to turn anyone away.

This was your average yoga class, not my beloved power yoga.I think the instructor was taking it easy for all the newbies. I like my yoga on caffeine, so I'd really like a more difficult class. The instructor said we'd do headstands and crane later in the semester. So there is hope for it.

We did the usual poses. We did some variations of tree pose—harder versions, arms out, arms swaying etc.  She said to try it with your eyes closed. WHY IS IT SO MUCH HARDER WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED!?! This blew my mind and I must get better at this immediately.

I like the time this class is offered. If I do take it again, I'll count it as an off day.

Overseen in class: Girl in front of me working on in a cotton onesie sleeper that was so short I could see her 80s satin underwear. I didn't even think they made underwear like that anymore.

Day 3: Bodypump




I've always been intimidated by this class. It's always packed to the gills full of girls and giant barbells. 60 minutes of weights!? Sounds awful.
But I do need to add strength training to my regimen and it's free week so I should try classes and see what I like.

I'm not sure if I've picked a barbell since freshman year of college, so I didn't know what to expect.

Equipment for this class: a mat, a platform, a barbell and plates.

I got a barbell (which was surprisingly light. NOT 40 pounds) and a set of small (2.2), medium (5.5) and large (11 pound) plates.

I put the small and medium on each side for the warm-up (deadlifts and upright rows). I survived! I thought I maybe could have added weight.

There were squats and overhead lifts. It was kind of what I was expecting. I didn't die really until the third or so exercise about 10 minutes in when my arms started to shake. I persevered.

The second half of the class was leg day. It was squats. I DIED on the lunges, which was weird because I run and can do lunges. I was just so tired at that point. We did some work lying back on the bench (like a weight bench)

We changed weights throughout the class. I did most of the class with the small and medium or just the medium on the bar. I watched what the one instructor was doing and that was a good weight for me. We also used the plates as free weights—for tricep extensions and then the small plates for some exercise that killed my shoulders (out of the side and back like you're pulling a bow and arrow.) We also did pushups after my arms were tired.

The next day my quads were sore as well as my shoulders. Good sore. I knew I'd be sore.

I'm thinking about adding the class to my routine. I just don't know what fits yet.

I'd wanted to take the 7 p.m. yoga too, but the gym early for a training so it wasn't offered anyway.

Day 4: Power Yoga
I went to the usual room for yoga. But the yoga class was actually upstairs. So at 12 minutes till I went upstairs and was about #20 in line. Then the fire alarm went off for the gym and the entire gym had to evacuate. There were about 2,000 people shuttled out of the building: lots of people working out, waiting to take classes and about 500 people in a lecture (maybe a mandatory club sports meeting). So we all waited outside in the grass. About 20 minutes in—they decided to cancel the classes and I went home and walked my dog.

I ran this morning so it was okay. Maybe I needed the rest? Apparently the fire alarm had been going off all week.

Fire alarm crowd. About 30 minutes in. A ton had left. 

Day 5: More TRX Yoga
Maybe I should have tried a different class, but I wanted to do this class again. This class had a lot of people come in late (after it was full) and there wasn't equipment for them. And I found that extremely distracting. The teacher was having to teach two groups. I'll look forward to smaller classes later in the semester.

On Tuesdays, there are barre classes that I might do later. There's an Insanity class, which I might be too chicken to try. I die just doing 10 minutes of Insanity abs. 60 minutes!? I'm scared. Today I was too tired to do the class. Maybe on a week I've been a slug and really need to torch some calories.

I didn't do the last day of free week. I have a standing Wednesday class that I try my hardest not to miss.

So that's it I'll buy an all access pass soon.

Closing thoughts:
1. Don't be afraid to go to the student gym. Yes, it's super busy. But if you show up early and pay attention you will be fine.(Also classes tend to be more popular during the school day and slightly less packed the closer you get to 8 p.m.)
2. Maybe I should have tried more classes. I still haven't tried Total Body Tone or spinning with the instructor I liked this summer. But I guess I have all semester.
3. Glad I survived free week: early closings, fire alarms and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment