Friday, September 26, 2014

Quitting trapeze



I've really been struggling with trapeze classes. It's a lot of complicated movements. Every move has 8-or-so steps that I have trouble remembering so I've really been debating whether I should stick with it.

I should stick with it, because I quit everything. And if I stuck with it, I could potentially get better at it. How do I get better at something I can only do for an hour a week? If I stick with it, I can take more classes and go to open studio. I could also take silks, which looks super fun, after two classes.

The problem is that I feel super busy. I do Canopy on Monday, Aerofit Tuesday and Thursday, and Tumbling Wednesday and it's just too much. I need to drop something and I think Canopy is what I'm going to drop.

It's the easiest thing to drop. I can just not sign up for the next session. Aerofit I have a yearly contract for. And I just love tumbling.

• I don't love trapeze
• I could spend my time doing something I love
• It's expensive
• Not enough instructor time
• Not for me

1) I don't love trapeze. I thought I might. I remember playing on the trapeze like contraption on the playground when I was a kid. I could hang upside down. It came naturally. I was good at it. It was fun. Trapeze for me is a source of bruises and frustration. It hurts. I can't do the moves. And I don't come out of the class excited, floored or thrilled. I just trudge on to Aerofit to get a real workout.

I loved Aerofit first class. I thought this was so fun. I bought a membership a few days later. I knew immediately that jumping on a trampoline was something I enjoyed. I tried to drag all of my friends there. I leave feel de-stressed, happy, euphoric.

I love tumbling. Coach Megan and Robert are awesome. They have great energy. I have so much to learn—but there's always things I can do. I can do a one armed cartwheel. I'm decently flexible. I have fun at the classes. Even if there are 20 people in the class, I can get a few minutes of attention or help from someone else. I always leave happy. I wish I could put a gymnastics gym in my basement.

2) I could spend the time and money from trapeze at Pure Barre, at rock climbing, at the outdoor trapeze place—or at any of the new classes I need to try. My time is valuable. It's only an hour a week, but it makes me feel a little overwhelmed.

3) It's $153 for nine classes. That's pricey. Pure Barre has a $100 first month unlimited deal. That's 2.4 months at the climbing gym. That's almost 4 flying trapeze classes. That's a lot for nine hours of instruction.

4) I get about 30 seconds of instructor time a week. Classes begin and end promptly at the scheduled time. There's no chatting before class to the teachers. They disappear after class so you can't talk to them about something that you couldn't do or wanted to try next time. I'd rather take private lessons—and really it might be worth it. $30 for 30 minutes, is the same price as about two classes, but I could potentially learn more. I'm really struggling in the big class and the complicate series of movements.

5) I think it's just not for me. My brain doesn't work like that. My body does't move like that. I have no trouble hanging upside down, but

Everyone just raves about Canopy. And yes, it's amazing what some of the people can do. There's a cool kid cred you get for saying you take classes there. It's an awesome hipster thing to do. But it's me. It's jut not for me.

But their customer service is nonexistent. They don't return emails. The classes and big and too expensive.

Me. I have trouble remembering all the moves. It doesn't suit me.



No comments:

Post a Comment