Thursday, January 2, 2020

New Years at Noon 5k



After half a year of a running funk, I decided to run a 5k. I've only been running easy pace for months. Early October was the last time I did anything faster than 9 minute miles.

I'm not training for anything, and decided maybe I should start training for something. So let's start with a 5k and see where I'm at.

Warmup
I ran a mile warmup and my legs felt like garbage. Nine minute miles felt like race pace. I told myself I'd be happy with anything under 30. And thought maybe 8 minute miles would be a good place to start and get faster if that felt good. Or not. Again, under 27 would be great.

The race
I started in the middle and started out super easy. I told myself to keep that first mile at 8 minutes. And as I sped up, my first mile was 7:45. Which was a happy surprise. 

Mile 2 was slower. I was trying not to look at my watch, and just running with people around me. And they slowed down. Second mile 7:56. Which was fine, but I could speed up. So I left the group of people I was running with.

I got to 2.5 and knew I'd have a decent time and started running it in. 7:29 for mile 3. 

And I sprinted in to finish 23:51. Well under 24 minutes. Under 8 minute pace.

A few things that went right
• Didn't start out to fast
• Smiled at the finish. Definitely had more in the tank (without killing myself in first run back)
• Negative (ish) splits. I got faster towards the end. 

I was really well rested for this race. The weather was perfect. I'm happy with how it went.

A year ago, I might have preferred low 23s or 22s but that's okay. The time isn't that fast, but 7:40s is plenty fast to start out with. I felt good. I did push. I could have pushed harder.

I need to set a goal race and train for something. 


No comments:

Post a Comment