Thursday, April 4, 2019

Why I'm not running Ragnar this year


Last year my husband ran Ragnar and I not so secretly wanted to start my own women's team, so we could beat the boys team. (I know a lot of fast ladies.)

And then, to my surprise, I was invited to a women's Ragnar team. My running reputation had gotten around and I, apparently made the cut.

I was thrilled and very honored.

I love trail running and I love relay races.

But then, I ended up saying no.

Money
The first reason was the cost. Ragnar is about $200. I just had a destination race in Savannah and that wasn't cheap. But the team I was invited to also wanted to do glamping, which raised the price to about $360 per person. Which is a lot of money. Especially when a 5k is normally $25 and a half marathon around $80. I couldn't justify that much money.

Risk of injury
Had I gotten a free entry would I do it? Still no. I really wanted to. But I was terrified of the idea of running trails at night. Those trails are perilous. I really worried about twisting an ankle. It just seemed dangerous. I've run trails slightly before dawn and after sunset—trails I know. I still try to avoid it. I've run on the road when dark, and I still don't like to do it.

Camping
I don't like camping and port-a-potties. It's not something I enjoy. There is a hotel near the campsite, but it was full. I checked several times.

Over-nights
I cherish my sleep. And I have NEVER been able to pull an all-nighter. I need naps. So I really wonder how bad I'd do in the overnight portion of this race.

So I'm not running Ragnar. I don't want to spend that much money and really don't want to get hurt. It still sounds super cool. I hope the guys have fun. And best of luck to anyone running. I'll visit and cheer you on!

No comments:

Post a Comment