Monday, March 18, 2019

Pre race jitters



This weekend I'm running a half marathon. I don't know how it's going to go. I'm worried.

I'm a worrier.

• I'm worried about how humidity will effect me.
But Vancouver was humid so I should be able to do this. I've trained in the humidity. And if it's 50s and humid, that should be fine.
• I'm worried because my 10 mile tempo was hard. At first I couldn't find the pace. And then my legs were trashed after I did find the pace. I averaged 8:11 pace for 10 miles, which is awesome. But my legs were so unhappy afterwards.
• I did my last 'long" run of the cycle. 7 miles. I tried to do the last mile at pace. It was hard.
• I'm worried it will hurt.
• I'm worried I will bonk.
• I'm worried about the gnats in the race director's email.

I'm trying to be positive. I can do this.

• I've been running consistently for 2 years. I have a good base.
• My goal is 15 seconds faster per mile than my last half. Six months ago.
• I wasn't completely spent after that half, which means maybe I had more in the tank.
• I feel like I've trained well. I've done the long runs. I've done the speed work.
• The race predictor says I can run this pace.
• I've run 7 miles at this pace. I've run 10 miles at close to this pace.
• Anything under 1:47-ish is a PR.

My plan
• I'm going to eat really healthy this week. I stopped candy and potato chips a few days ago. I'm mostly eating chicken and vegetables. Pretty clean.
• I'm going to make sure I get enough sleep
• I'm going to trust the taper. And that between being rested and the adrenaline, I'll run well.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment