Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Spin Class: Redo




I decided to try spin class again. I HATED my first spin class. But it's been two years, so I decided to give it another chance.

The class was fine. I liked that the lights weren't turned off.

The bike was relatively easy to use (and you didn't have to clip in your shoes.) And I liked that the class burned A LOT of calories: 352. (Yesterday's bare class was 206, and I considered it a far better workout.)

What I didn't like.

No arms. It was all legs.

I couldn't hear the instructor. The music was loud. I couldn't hear her mic and I was right in front of her. I missed a lot of the directions. Was she saying to sprint? I think I missed this one a lot. Was she saying to turn the gear up or down? I think she mumbled some too.

She also didn't explain what things were. Bouncing? Jumps? How exactly are you moving from sitting to standing so fast? Why are we doing this?

But what I really didn't like was that ycling hurts my crotch and upper thighs. It feels like getting punched. I couldn't find a way to sit so it didn't hurt. Was my bike wrong? The teacher adjusted me before class so I thought it was right. I guess that's why people wear padded bike shorts.

About four people left the class before it was over. Was it too hard? Did they have a final exam to go to? I don't know.

Verdict: Spin class is officially not for me. I hated the punched in the crotch feeling of the bike. I needed more arm work. (did like this class better than the last one, but found the instructor very mumbly.)

There are lots of workouts I like, or will tolerate. Spin class will not be on my rotation of workouts. I took this class because it was free and I thought it would be a good workout.

If you go:
• Go early and have the instructor help you set up the bike (maybe show you how to use the gears)
• Wear athletic shoes
• Bring a towel and you can set your water bottle down on the bike within arm's distance.
• Ask how to avoid the punched in the crotch feeling because I would like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment