Saturday, May 17, 2014

All about kayaking



I’m not sure if I’ve ever been kayaking before. I’ve been canoeing and rafting—but not since I was a teenager. But today I tried kayaking with a group of friends—and for May in Georgia the water was unseasonably cold. My lips were blue when we were done. All I wanted was soup.

For this trip I drove up to a little North Georgia town and drove down a lot of dirt roads until I finally came to the kayaking post. (The drive itself was an adventure.) You sign in, give them your keys (so you don’t lose them on the river), pick out a life jacket and wait for them to call your group. Then, they drive your group on an old mini school bus (it’s doors didn’t fully close) to the top of the river. (I especially liked the guy in front of us trying to smoke on the bus.)

You get off the bus, pick a kayak and a paddle and the push you out on the river.

At this particular place, there was no safety video and no instruction video of any kind. And I had NO IDEA how to kayak.

And immediately, there are rapids in the river. I have no idea what I’m doing. I attempt to paddle through the rapids like everyone else. I keep my core tight, arms strong and PRAY not to flip. I make it through the first two sets (it’s just staying upright). But the water sprays me and the water is freezing.

Of course I'm the dorkiest looking one in a dry-fit shirt, hat and glasses.
It’s cold so I decided the most practical outfit was dri-fit shorts and a long-sleeve T. The shirt, despite being light weight and dri-fit, was immediately soaked through and more annoying than helpful.

So I freeze for the rest of the canoe ride. And after the first two rapids, the river calms down. Without even paddling the kayak just drifts along, which would be great except I’m way ahead of the group I’m with and I keep paddling back. I try using the paddle as a brake, but it’s no good. I can’t figure out how to go slow.

One of the girls in our group flips her kayak. Another almost loses her kayak, banked against a river rock when we stopped to take a break. The guy in our group has a busted kayak that’s taking on water and not draining.

Finally, we all get so cold we decide to race back to the outpost. And I feel almost warm. And we’re moving at the speed I want to go.

We put up the kayaks and are done—apparently in record time. (I thought the trip time could easily be halved, but apparently I don’t understand the concept of floating lazily down the river with a beer).

The outpost has warm showers (hallelujah!) and we decide to drive home and get food. (It took me an hour after getting out of the water to feel my toes.)

So I survived kayaking.

Quick guide to kayaking

Verdict: I was expecting it to be so slow paced or cold. It sounded more adventurous than it was and I felt like I got zero workout.

Atmosphere: Casual (possibly too casual)

Intensity: Small bursts, but mostly not intense.

Price: Okay. $25 per person. I had a deal for $12.

What to wear: I haven’t figured this one out myself. A bathing suit, sun block, water shoes or sandals. I wore a hat (that wasn’t necessary) and had my sunglasses on croakies.

Would I do it again? Maybe. On a hot day with a group of people who want to race to the finish.

If you go: Bring a cooler for snacks and drinks along the river. Keep a towel and dry clothes in your car for afterwards. And check the weather forecast. Hope you have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment